I'm having a filter leak on what looks like a hydraulic filter. It was mild at first, but has gotten much worse. there are two filters next to each other, basically in the center of the tractor, access is underneath. the problem filter is labeled number 551616 which the internet is telling me is a "heavy duty hydraulic filter". I'm assuming the other filter nearby is for the reverser, according the manual. The reverser oil also is red, and i do not see leaking red oil. So my questions are: what is the best tool for this? I don't have any filter change tool. the filter is rather large. will I have to drain the entire hydraulic oil system, or can i just change this filter?
You can buy a large filter wrench from most auto/truck parts stores. A large pair of channel locks or a chain wrench works well also. I usually fill the new filter with fresh oil and have it ready. Spin off the old one and quickly install the new one. It makes a bit of a mess but you won't lose ALL the oil if you are quick.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-60200-Heavy-Filter-Wrench/dp/B007QVB71C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2IP0A6BDWV36M&keywords=oil+filter+strap+wrench&qid=1686349562&sprefix=strap+filt%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-6 Strap filter wrench with a ratchet and extension will get you the filter off. Just replace it. But you need some brake clean and rags to clean off above the filter to make sure the leak isn't just above the filter housing and running down onto the filter.
^forgot about those LOL