I'm new to the site and don't have a lot of heavy equipment experience. Me and my Dad bought a 1973 Ford 4500 tractor with a 755 backhoe on it that's been a work in progress for a few years. The issue I'm seeking advice/help with is the control valve for the backhoe. It leaked bad when purchased and after rebuilding it and replace hoses we found out the leak was coming from a crack in the valve between 2 ports. We Attempted to weld it and in the process warped the block to where the spools won't move without major persuasion and it leaks less, but still leaks. So weve come to the conclusion that a new valve is needed. I'm seeking advice on what to look for in a new valve. Has anyone converted a valve from another backhoe into a 755? I did some research and found a Prince 3 spool joystick valve that will handle 3000 PSI and flows 25GPM. I know I would need two of them and would require some adaptaion of hoses, but wasnt sure if the pressure rating and GPM were suffiecnt. From what Ive seen mentioned I think those tractors pump around 3,000 PSI at around 30 GPM? Maybe I'm way off on those numbers. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated. If I can add any other information to help explain please let me know. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Have you considered a used replacement from a salvage yard ? Any chance the warped valve body could milled or surface ground to true it back to usefulness ?
Thanks for the reply Tinkerer. I haven't been able to locate a used one of the same model. I've only looked online and don't know where else to search for one as there aren't any heavy equipment salvage yards near to me. The part that is warped is internal. It is all the areas where the spools slide through. It probably could be milled back to specs but the other issue we found when running the valve is that there is also a crack internal that we attempted to fix, which is bleeding pressure into the outrigger. So when you move valves for the backhoe arm, it also moves the outrigger. We also didn't get the leak completely sealed. I had a heck of a time welding the cast iron without getting impurities in the puddle. I feel like there is oil embedded in the casting and not sure I'd be fully successful at stopping the leaks. I can't convince myself to spend the money to machine the valve that I have, with the fear that it still won't work right or will leak. I'd like to find a functioning valve, new or used, that can be retrofitted if possible.
When you find them, you really have to call to get a specific part. There is one in PA called wengers, but you must call. Wengers of Myerstown® - Farm Equipment, Heavy Equipment & Parts Wengers of Myerstown - featuring quality used farm & construction equipment and the largest parts inventory on the east coast. Check out our massive inventory today! www.wengers.com
From what you describe, your warped valve is junk. I learned the hard way like you did. Mine was a loader valve. I was able to salvage the spools out of it. When (if) you call Wengers even tho they may not have one, ask them if they have one from any of the Ford backhoes you could retrofit.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try Wengers and see what the have on Monday. Out of curiosity, would it be better to stick with a Ford valve rather than a new one to try and retrofit. Are the new universal type ones no good, or prone to failure?
I'd think a used one would be worth looking for, you'll spend so much time and effort with making something else work. Valves rarely crack or wear out compared to everything else on a backhoe, so there should be enough of them sitting around in salvage yards.
You can go to Machinery trader, and go to the "Dismantled machines" section, and search for ford 4500's. If none of those work, you may be able to look for one similar age but just larger series like a 5500, and they may use the same valve. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/dismantled-machines/ford/4500/construction-equipment
That makes sense Delmer. I guess if I can find a used one I have all the part to rebuild or replace anything that might not be working right. I didn’t realize you could find used ones that easily. Thanks for that link crane operator. There’s a bunch there that I can call to check on.
Just saw this on Marketplace. Maybe he would ship what you need out?? Facebook www.facebook.com
First post says 755 backhoe on a 4500. So, do you have a 19-390 backhoe ???? That is one of the models of backhoe that was put on the Ford 755 Tractors.
It is a 19-551. From what I researched the backhoe attachment is a 755, but I think Ford also made a 755 tractor like you stated. Confusing. Thanks for that Facebook link. I’ll see if he has a valve and is willing to remove and ship.
Yes, Ford did make a 755 TLB. It was their largest model.
did you find your part? We have three backhoes the boss is gonna smash and send it to the scrapyard. Send a picture of the part you need but must act fast.