Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic fitting turns too far.

Chad Duncan ยท 2016-04-23 13:28

Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment so this may be confusing. At some time in the past the 90 degree fitting on the boom of my backhoe was turned too far. This fitting eventually leads to the ram that controls my bucket. On one side of the machine the fitting points downward and the hose runs under the pivot point. On the other side the fitting points back and up and the hose runs over the the arm pivot, causing the hose to rub on the pin. Of course this led to wearing a hole in the hose, also the hose was bent into an awkward 'S' shape instead of a nice gentle single arc like the other side so I think that it is not correct. I have replaced the hose and I want to turn the fitting to match the side that didn't look like an 'S' or have a hole. The 90 degree fitting in question isn't a two part fitting like the hose, it is a single piece that threads to a 'bottom out' with an O ring. this fitting threads into a piece that has a big nut on it and I thought that tightening this nut a lot would pinch the 90 fitting and lock it in place but it does not. the fitting remains sloppy loose unless I bottom it out which puts me back into the hose rubbing scenario. I could just tighten it down and resign myself to replacing the hose again soon but it seems to me that if the torque on the 90 is all that keeps it from turning then it is just a matter of time before it loosens itself anyway. What am I missing here? I can't get to the fitting that the 90 threads into because it is a steel line inside the arm. the only things I can put a wrench to are the 90 and the nut and the two don't seem to have any effect on each other. If the 90 had a good new o ring, can it be left loose? that sounds ridiculous to me, but I don't know how else I can get the hose to run the 'right' way.

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042016-04-23 14:51

    Knowing what backhoe this is would help. It sounds like you are describing an o-ring boss 90. If so, it should have a locknut and washer above the o-ring. You turn the 90 to where you want it and then lock the nut down to compress the o-ring. Does it look like end number two on this?

  2. #2Jonas3022016-04-23 14:54

    You might need and adjustable o ring fitting http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/category_s/1033.htm put it where you need the 90 to point and tighten the lock nut

  3. #3Jonas3022016-04-23 14:57

    Mitch found a pic faster than me lol

  4. #4Chad Duncan2016-04-23 15:25

    It is an early seventies IH 3400a. Thai picture solved the mystery. There was so much crap and rust that it looked like a single solid piece.

  5. #5RobVG2016-04-23 19:32

    Just a note: Had a leaky one on an IR riding roller that someone over tightened- you could see where they used a pipe wrench. It deformed the washer under the locknut so the oring extruded out the gap in the washer. Back the nut all the way off when installing and don't over tighten.

  6. #6willie592016-04-23 19:56

    Yep, improper installation will kill them every time. The best way to install is to back the nut off a bit, then push the washer toward the nut until it hits the threads the nut rides on. Hold the washer there and screw the nut back down until it just touches the washer. Now install the fitting but don't disturb the position of the nut. Screw the fitting in until it's just finger tight snug. If the fitting isn't pointed in the desired position, screw it back out until it is and then lock the nut down. BTW, that's not an o-ring found in a standard o-ring box, it's a 900 series o-ring. Standard 100 and 200 series will fail in those connections.

  7. #7Chad Duncan2016-04-24 10:07

    Thanks for the help and advice.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-04-24 14:05

    Most of the ones I saw leaking in my wrench turning days were installed too high or too low, gotta put them in like Willie59 sez otherwise the O-ring is trying to seal on the threads and sometimes the washer gets distorted by being forced over the threads also.