Looking for some ideas where I can get some fittings for re-jigging Wiggins-equipped service centres to a different brand of connector. The issue is that Wiggins connectors are generally UNF thread with a STOR connection and the other brand are threaded NPT. What I'm trying to do iis to get from the whatever is the hose connection (mostly ORFS but a couple of STOR) to 3/4" NPT without making up a "Christmas Tree" of fittings to go from one to the other. Mainly because I don't have the sapce available for multiple connectors. They don't have to be high pressure because they are only for filling and draining oils. Maybe a couple of psi max is all the pressure they will see. Here's a list of what I'm looking for. Apart from the last on the list the opposite end to the ORFS connection will be 3/4" NPT female:- Qty 5 x 1-7/16" ORFS male straight. Qty 4 x 1-1/16" ORFS male straight. Qty 1 x 1-7/16" ORFS male 90-deg. Qty 2 x 1-3/16" ORFS male 45-deg. Qty 1 x 13/16" ORFS male 45-deg. Qty 2 x 1-5/8" STOR male straight. This connector can be either male or female 3/4" NPT on the opposite end. Suggestrions on a postcard to the usual address please ...........
It's not looking easy. 6V7483 goes from 3/4 NPT female to 1-1/16 STOR male, then 8T5429 goes from 1-7/16 ORFS male to 1-1/16 STOR male, then 1765868 is a socket with 1-1/16 STOR at both ends to join the mess together. I think personally that I would get busy with the lathe and some brazing rods.
I'd pretty well exhausted the possibilities in the Cat Hose & Fittings Guide. Hence my question regarding other suppliers. I was hoping someone might have a lead or two to companies that supply oddball fittings.
Nige have you checked discount hydraulic hose always get fast accurate service from them tho im only 300 or so miles from them
Can you buy a couple fittings that have what you want on them, cut them up and have them Tig welded into what you want? Hopefully that makes sense.
Since they will only see low pressures, tig brazing some franken-fittings together shouldn't be a problem.
I’ve rigged up some stuff to get out of a jam using SMAW that saw full hydraulic pressure. Not pretty but it worked.
Along those lines, what if you just bought plugs and/ or caps of what you wanted, drill a hole through the center of each plug/cap, and weld them back to back? If you need a swivel you could use a fitting on one end. I think I'd rather weld a 90 deg. fitting to a cap or plug than trying to get fitting to fitting, and it would be pretty short.
https://www.adaptall.com/ Might be worth a look, I’ve heard the guys at our local hyd hose shop use them.
I don't know if there is a Motion and Flow outlet down in your area but I have used them for years for all that odd ball crap that Cat likes to use. They used to be American Hose and Fittings but they sold out to a conglomerate some years ago.
I was having troubles figuring out what nige was looking for in fittings, then I saw this chart and it made a lot more sense. I was thinking "I can't find any fittings that are 1 -7/16" plugs or caps so he must have some oddball stuff". What I would find as a 3/4" orfs, is what nige is calling a 1-3/16". Am I right in assuming this nige?
The Wigeons stuff has been pretty good at using the most oddball stuff to ever grace an operation. The thing with it is that I've never found anyone else that makes quick fuel and fluid quick drain couplers and incorporated the manufacturers to put their fitting sizes in the machines.
3/4" NPT female is the ball buster, and the last one is a 20-12? also real rare. I don't recognize 1-1/16" ?? Unless it's STOR boss? Or 1-3/16" straight? Send your list to this fellow, if it's made anywhere in the world, he can find it: Monte Miller Motion & Flow Control Products – MFCP, Inc. 2720 W 5th Ave Eugene, OR 97402 phone – 541-343-1229 eFax – 541-343-8347 email – [email protected] Any motion and flow is good, but Monte is my wizard go to guy.
Yes you're right. I was quoting the thread size rather than the dash size of the couplings. Let me re-jig the list to use the NPT/dash sizes. Qty 5 - 3/4" NPT female to Dash 16 ORFS male straight. Qty 4 - 3/4" NPT female to Dash 12 ORFS male straight. Qty 1 - 3/4" NPT female to Dash 16 ORFS male 90-deg. Qty 2 - 3/4" NPT female to Dash 12 ORFS male 45-deg. Qty 1 - 3/4" NPT female to Dash 8 ORFS male 45-deg. Qty 2 - 3/4" NPT male or female to Dash 20 STOR male straight
Thanks Don. I'll drop him an email.
Basically we can get anything out of the US, even from suppliers with whom we don't have an account set up. Certain of our buyers have credit cards that they can use for buying oddball stuff. Here's the problem trying to go away from an OEM Wiggins installation to any other brand of quick coupler summed up in one drawing. The external thread on the Wiggins coupling is used for a bulkhead niut that fixes it into the service centre. The internal thread takes a STOR fitting with an O-Ring, that's the function of the seal surface called out on the print. OEM connections are STOR on the Wiggins end mated to whatever is on the hose leading from the back side of the service centre, usually ORFS. If you look at the illustration on the right you can see what I mean about limited space in which to install multiple fittings to get from the hose to the quick coupler. There are 5 fittings in a rectangular area that probably less than 12" x 8" looking at it from the front. 13, 14, 15, 18 & 21 are the couplers I have to replace.
Thanks for the suggestion. No matches unfortunately.
Just out of interest, what's wrong with the Wiggins and which brand are you going to?
Nothing wrong with the Wiggins but as an origanzation they use Banlaw. The advantage of Banlaw is that despite having a dozen or so different colour-coded fittings for filling (so that different oil types don't get mixed up), all of them use a common evac coupling which makes draining oil easier because one size fits all. Also they use Banlaw "chipped" fast-fill fuel connectors, each one programmed to the machine it's installed on. So immediately the fuel gun is connected it knows to which machine it's suppliyng fuel. Useful when the lfeet is over 100 machines.
Interesting. Thanks. Might the unwanted Wiggins fittings find their way into a box under your desk?
Probably. And they'll likely be still there gathering dust in 10 years from now. Getting anything out of the gate is like pulling hen's teeth.
@lantraxco . Can you do me a favour and give him a call.? I had no reply to an email that I sent to him and have no way of calling him from my current location. Maybe my email landed in his Junk folder..?
Double post.
Will do.
I have a collection of unavailable fittings made with my tig welder. I'd brag I haven't blown one, but pride goeth before a fall.
I don't know if you spotted it above but these fittings will only be subject to around 5psi max because they are for oil fills/drains through a service centre. I am getting close to the point where it's time to break out a TIG welder somewhere.........
Brazing is good enough for that kind of stuff. If it were that size and worked with big pressure you would need the Tig welder.
Not familiar with the application but an off the top of my head thought is would it be possible to buy a fitting that had enough meat on it to machine the threads to what you need? Not sure what kind of access you have to a machine shop in your location.
Welding or brazing would work, just make sure the fittings aren't cadmium plated. The fumes can kill you.
How about something like this for the bulkhead passthrough? Then you would only need a male pipe by ORFS maybe. https://www.mcmaster.com/bulkhead-f...s/high-pressure-brass-threaded-pipe-fittings/
Short of the tig welder, might hydraulic fittings to a stub hose work for you ? Seems like ORFS & Female Pipe are common hose ends.
Can't use brass unfortunately. Not allowed on site in hydraulic systems, and despite the low pressure what I'm working on is classed as an hydraulic system. Problem with stub hoses is the limited amount of space I have for fittings. It's tight enough with the original setup, trying to introduce additional fittings on stub hoses would mean I'd have to shorten the existing hoses and with some of them being 15-20ft long with crimped ends getting them out and to the hose shop for modification would be a tad challenging.
Bloody nitpickers, lol. Step up a bit, but the hole size keeps getting bigger as well: https://hosewarehouse.com/products/...eel-3-4-bulkhead-tank-fitting-hole-size-1-5-8 https://www.mcmaster.com/bulkhead-f...ssure-stainless-steel-threaded-pipe-fittings/
Treasure hunting is fun, there is a 3/4" NPT female to Dash 12 ORFS male straight. https://www.ebay.com/itm/313268083460?ViewItem=&item=313268083460
How about 2 plugs back to back & drilled through?
Ummmmm??? How about this is a Gazinta? As in it Goes into a female fitting?
Might be an odd question, but why would there be a face seal fitting in a drain circuit? Also, looking at that fitting I would call that a double male.
These setups are push/pull, you evacuate with the suction line, then refill to a measured quantity with a pressure line. The latest and greatest for OEM's seems to be everything face seal. I like the CAT O-rings, they're color coded by size.
Face seals are for pressures in excess of 3,500 PSI. They took over from JIC because of the pressure and they don’t vibrate loose. I’ve not been anywhere that allowed refills through those drain lines.
Yeah, for high pressure, but they're popular, so you find them everywhere. And you don't have to apply teflon tape or sealer, or teach low wage drones how tight to make a pipe thread joint or a JIC nut. As to refilling through the dedicated lines, that's what it's all about, they're not just remote drains on these panels. There's usually a level gauge for each fluid also I believe.
It might be nice but I’ve never had or seen a lube truck or shop facility with that capability. Refills always are through dedicated hoses and flow meters.
ORFS is Cat's standard MO these days. JIC would be a rarity on a new Cat machine.
It might be nice but I’ve never had or seen a lube truck or shop facility with that capability.
Well I f-ed that up. Let me try again with the plugs Think I got it right this time. Maybe? Joe H
That would work!
You'd think I didn't read the original, but I did about 6 times whilst hunting for the elusive "someone must make those" thingee. Maybe a picture of the actual whatever it is these all go in & out of would make my more picture oriented brain workee more better. Is the whatever it is that needs these bits on the shop equipment or the machine? Joe H Either way, it's kept me occupied & interested.
"Something to do" From The Train Robbers, John Wayne, Ben Johnson, Rod Taylor, and oh my, Ann-Margret. There's a parts picture and diagram of the panel on the machine in the first page of posts.
Keep the good ideas coming guys ........... I'm so head down *** up trying to get machines screwed together I haven't had the time to dedicate to a detailed search of the interweb to solve this dilemma. While it seems as though we have the straight fittings somewhat beaten to death, what about the 45-deg & 90-deg elbows..?
This is what the service centre looks like on the EX3600. As you can see it is rasied & lowered hydraulically. We haven't completely finished replacing the OEM Wiggins connectors with Banlaw yet. Still have the two coolant and an engine oil connector to do. This machine is equipped with a different range of Wiggins connectors that are threaded NPT, so the change only involves unscrewing one brand of connector and installing the replacement.
I may have found it ............... straight, 45-deg, & 90-deg fittings from NPT male to ORFS male. Eureka. https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/o-ring-face-seal-ORFS-fittings-s/1878.htm https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ORB-Hex-Head-Plug-p/6408.htm - drill a couple of these in Dash 20 size and tap 3/4" NPT.
Now this brought back some well suppressed memories. worked on a site where we had some machines with Wiggins and some with Banlaw and the service truck only had Banlaw. Had to have adaptors in he truck for every fluid and as you say, it ends up being a Christmas Tree
I priced all the fittings I need from Hydraulics Direct for modification of the service centres on 6 machines - $130 + tax......... ***..? It probably cost 100 times that in everyone's time who went into the depths of the interweb looking for solutions. To everyone who chimed in, a heartfelt thank you.
It's all made in China these days, LMAO! Wait, what tax?
Sometimes it's more knowing where to look than anything else. Other times it's knowing what the part is called. A lot of the times it's just dumb luck finding what you need. It certainly doesn't help when the parts people have no clue what they sell either.
Lack of training.
They want to pay minimum wage and just throw employee's right into the fire.
Yup. Gone are the days in equipment dealerships when parts counter guys were retired mechanics.
Or service writers.
Yea! I recall the days we had a shop mechanic at the local Cat House who decided he wanted to move from the shop floor to the parts department. You could order parts for the governor on a 3306 in a Cat 966 and he could also tell you the tricks to install the parts and how to tell if the flyweights were in the proper position so it didn't run away on stat-up!
Looked today at the posters Discounthydraulichose.com sent me & lo & behold what do I see but 45º fittings https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/search.html?Search=fs2503 90º fittings https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/search.html?Search=fs2501 and straight https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/search.html?Search=fs2404 Got the posters with some hoses I ordered, and there they were. Joe H
The main issue was Male ORFS to female 3/4 NPT without extra fitting. So can't have a coupling added to those fittings
Really got the dumbs. Saw them on the poster and thought it was the right piece. Shudda gone back and read the original that I read wrong then too. Do I get any kind of prize for wrong twice? Joe H
Most honest contributor ? ( : I would never find fault with anyone just trying to help.