Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need an idea! Stuck Sway Bar Bolt (KW T60)

jonno634 · 2020-12-08 16:00

The sway bar bushings are bad on my truck, I am trying to get the brackets off so I can replace the bushings. Same bolt on both sides is stuck (the others I was able to put the air-impact on and spin them free... dirt, mud/aluminum block vs steel bolts). I’ve tried air hammer, regular hammer, PortaPower pushing (but I am just a little to close to it to get carried away). Any ideas/tricks?

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2020-12-08 16:12

    Heat on the aluminum while someone else runs a Impact or applies constant pressure with portapower.

  2. #2funwithfuel2020-12-08 16:19

    A little rattling with a flat hammer bit around the outside with an air hammer. Help disturb that powdered aluminum

  3. #3DMiller2020-12-08 16:20

    If feel game, heat that bolt RED Hot, then leave it to cool on its own overnight, Then put a rattle gun to it.

  4. #4funwithfuel2020-12-08 16:31

    If that was the early style, you would just replace the whole thing. It would have been cracked in half and spreading.

  5. #5Bls repair2020-12-12 22:46

    Can you weld a nut to the bolt so youcan get more torque from both ends,or double nut it?

  6. #6jonno6342020-12-13 10:46

    Did that also... ended up cutting it out.