I have just acquired a 72 580B that has been sitting out in the rain for several years. I drained about 4 gallons of water out of the oil pan and today I removed the head to find much rust and corrosion in the cylinders.....imagine that. I was able to loosen the pistons and got them out without too much trouble. Here is my question. When removing the oil pan a considerable amount of hydraulic fluid came out from around the flywheel. Is this normal? Should hydraulic fluid be in the cavity around the flywheel? Or, is this a sign that the seal behind the flywheel is/has been leaking. The tractor has not been in running condition for many years and I am trying to educate myself on what I may be facing before I continue on. I have not yet separated the tractor and I am wondering if it worth trying to repair. I believe I can replace the sleeves and install new rings without splitting the tractor. I really don't want to go to that trouble and expense if I am going to have to take it back apart to replace a seal and who knows what else. Thanks for any help. John
Three days and no help ??? Are you sure it was hydraulic oil ? Or was it black like engine oil ? Hydraulic oil would be unusual. Is it a hydrostatic drive or does it have a clutch ?
Yes, I am sure it was hydraulic oil and not engine oil. The tractor is hydrostatic drive. Thanks, john
Yes it is trans/hyd oil. If you look close there is a gasket between the block and bell housing and the half moon plate at the bottom. They can be a pain to stop leaking when it starts.