I recently purchased a Cat 963 B, so there are many many things I need to learn about it. The other day I checked the hydraulic fluid, the sight gauge looked normal, but when I took the cap off I was unable to see the fluid because I didn't have a light or anything. Today, I went to check the fluid again. The sight gauge looked normal, but when I took the cap off, about two cups of fluid overflowed out of it. I have not run the machine at all today, and it was parked on a flat surface with the boom lowered. I cannot recall if the boom was lowered or raised when I checked the fluid the other day. I am thinking it must have been raised though. Is the hydraulic fluid over filled? If so, how much should I take out? The fluid looked nice and clean, as it should be since it was recently changed by the previous owner. The dark streaks are just dirt that was around the cap. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Somebody checked it and filled it up with boom up. Boom down and I don't remember right now if it's bucket level or back like most any machine. The proper level also varies with oil temp. Just take some oil out till it reads right. If you start working it will vent and make a mess as the oil heats up.
What should the gauge look like when it has the correct amount of fluid in it? Thanks.
Check with oil cold, should be about halfway in sight glass.