What a day. Had a guy put 10 gallons of hydraulic into my komatsu pc 200. Luckily, he didnt start it before realizing what happened. We drained about 55 gallons of the mixed liquid from the tank. My mechanic seems to think it is fine to run with just a quick drain and 5 gallon diesel flush. Not sure if he is looking for more work or being accurate. So i come here, what should i do next? Or do you think its fine with what i mentioned above? Scared to turn it on. Thanks
It will do nothing but lubricate the top end and smoke a little blue. Not sure if any emission systems will be bothered by it but I’ve seen a few engines burn oil with emissions and not miss a beat. Also starting in the cold may cause a tad issue. A few more cranks before lighting off. Syleng1
During a fire and power outage a few years ago, I was stuck here at the house, and ran my mechanical 3 cylinder generator on about 50% hydraulic oil as primary fuel for a few day until I could get resupplied. It did not run very well on the oil but has since run several straight weeks on proper diesel and done just fine.
Honestly I don't even know if I'd have worried too much about it in the first place. The fuel tank on one of those is what, 90 gallons? I'd have just topped off the tank with 30 gal of diesel and sent it.
I seen this before on a Liebherr excavator where a combined fuel and hydraulic tank had a crack in the weld which seperated the two tanks and allowed the hyd oil into the fuel, this caused the injectors to gum up and produce lots of smoke, the owner changed injectors twice before calling field tech who sampled the fuel and found oil contamination.
Draining fuel tank with hydraulic oil in it...........$1000.00 Quick drain and flush with 5 gallons diesel.......more money (poof) Reminding the dumbass that did that for the next few years on a daily basis................PRICELESS! Run it...............
Not to split hairs- but one tank of oil in fuel will not gum up injectors. Now years of cross over and not addressing that is a different story. My machines are all 90’s pre emissions vintage so they will run on almost any thin oil. My 2022 New Holland Workmaster 70 doesn’t even like when it rains. All good.
Back in the day, we used to run waste oil through a filter caddy right into the fuel tank. This was a Cummins approved procedure, Cummins even made the filtering pump assembly. I wouldn't sweat it one bit.
lol! Russian tractors like the older air cooled Belarus and Zetors in the manuals told the operator to add the drain oil to the fuel tank. They had a centrifugal fuel filter that worked amazing. They were so easy to work on. Miss those old days
Wouldn't hurt to put some fuel conditioner in it to keep the injectors and injection pump clean. I've seen worse. Was at a gas station where somebody with a new diesel pusher motor home filled the fuel tank with gasoline. Apparently they dumped a whole lot of fuel conditioner in the tank. In a case like that, I think I'd drain the tank and mix the fuel with new gas and use it in an old car or something.
Big difference in the Liebherr injectors and komatsu or any other brand for that matter. Much different though Yes I'd agree this issue was happening much longer than a tank of diesel and likely was an issue for quite some time.
I’m a little late to the party.. what happened when u ran it.? I suspect nothing major or you’d be back.. FWF > Mack had the same.. running waste oil in the fuel.
Funny- go on Utube. Plenty of pro and con videos running waste oil in a diesel. I laugh like it is a new thing. When The diesel was invented - it was done so it would burn any oil especially oil from products on the farm. Oil Barons put a stop to that. Only emission style delivery systems seem to control that now. “You MUST buy our sulfur free diesel for your machine to run.” So sad.
Cummins had a system where they ran a continuous oil change through the engine, burning a little bit and replenishing from a tank, or even just relying on the driver to top the oil off in the morning.
Not really, either made by Bosch or Delphi. Not many home brews building their own.
They were Bosch
Bosch has a service bulletin about **.. alternative fuels in their system..(mechanical injection) 5% MAX..