Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic issues

Nick_2453 · 2024-07-27 21:13

Just recently we have bought a Jhon deere 270 skid steer for around the farm I was moving some gravel with it and noticed it had a bad hydraulic leak I thought it was a bit in the hose so I put the boom all the way down and tried to take a side panel off the get the hose off but I then realized that I needed to open the cab up so I did some research and found out you need to raise the boom all the way so i went to do that but when I did the boom didn't rise it would only dump but it was on the ground so the front wheels are in the air a bit it will not raise lower or tilt up can I raise the cup without lifting the boom up I have also tried putting more hydrologic oil in and I filled it and still nothing I really need advice any help would be great thank you.

Replies15
  1. #1IceHole2024-07-27 21:31

    You ok?

  2. #2Shop Dweller2024-07-27 21:37

    Not a skid steer guy... but did it get low enough on hyd. oil to loose prime? If you have something else to lift with that is safe you might loosen cylinder lines and pick the boom up. It could have busted a pump as well. Just my useless 2 cents..

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-07-28 02:52

    No need to loosen anything to raise the boom if you can put it in float position.

  4. #4Shop Dweller2024-07-28 21:53

    I agree with Welder Dave if you can get it in float on the boom no need to relieve lines. But, some machines float the bucket instead of the boom, and also if it has pilot controls it would have to be running with pilot pressure to float, I would think.

  5. #5ozarkag2024-07-28 22:22

    If your machine does not have enclosed cab you should be able to raise cab with loader down. If closed cab(with heat or a/c) the lower door frame hits the tilt cylinder.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-07-28 23:52

    Never heard of bucket only float.

  7. #7Coaldust2024-07-29 00:07

    Don’t get hurt, Nick_2453. I haven’t even got to know you, yet.

  8. #8Shop Dweller2024-07-29 19:13

    Ran an older bobcat once with foot controls that floated the bucket. It may have had altered plumbing.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-07-29 20:07

    Float is normally on the lift pedal. You have to quickly stab the top of the pedal to put it in float. Float is standard on pretty much every skid steer. Machines with hand controls or pilot controls may have electric float with a switch.

  10. #10Shop Dweller2024-07-29 20:33

    I understand, what I was saing is that someone could have switched hoses from bucket pedal to the float valve. I borrowed that machine to put gravel in my basement before the floor was poured about 22 years ago. So I have no idea what that macine had been through.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-07-30 20:45

    Changing pedals would make the controls opposite but I can't see why anybody would do that. Sometimes if float isn't used for a long time the pedal will get stiff and not want to go in float.

  12. #12Shop Dweller2024-07-30 21:08

    If you changed the out hoses from valve as well it wouldn't change pedals. All I know is if the pedals work the bucket, I shouldn't be on it...lol. All I know is the bucket floated, but IDK why.

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-07-30 21:20

    Float is a detent position on the lift valve spool. You can't just change hoses for the float, it's part of the lift valve circuit. In order to keep the pedals the same you'd have to change the spools and end caps between lift and bucket on the valve assembly. Really can't see anyone doing that but I guess it's possible. If the seals in the bucket cylinders were bad could act like float except the bucket wouldn't stay in position when lifted off the ground.

  14. #14Shop Dweller2024-07-30 21:56

    Idk much about skid steers. Most of the equipment I deal with starts at over 30,000 pounds, but this one was probably an 80s model maybe early 80s, so I assumed the float was just an addition in that section of the valve body such as on older dozers, or the detent on a Deere grapple skidder. If you know anything about skid steers then you know more than me. But I remember the pedal sort of had a notch if you pushed it far enough and it would hold there till you rocked it the other way and it would click out. I remember thinking, this is useless because you can't go forward at all and the bucket just grabs and rolls over. It had teeth as well, so that made it even worse. I ain't gonna loose any sleep over it because I would say it's long been scrap by now. I live in the town where Tyson Foods second largest chicken processing plant is and it was used to clean out chicken houses and the fuel tank already had rust pin holes all in it. Chicken manure and ammonia is murder on steel, as im sure you know.

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-07-31 01:30

    Float is usually a detent when quickly pushing hard on the top of the pedal. Maybe someone switched the pedals or added float to the bucket valve. Right foot is for the bucket and left is for lift. If this is backwards someone switched the hoses. Maybe the control valve was changed or worked on and put together backwards?? Bucket on float could cause damage and possible injury if it grabbed something solid when pushing.