Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydraulic license

dgreene ยท 2007-03-22 17:38

am looking at some work in mass and need to get my hydraulic license. does anyone have any info?

Replies44
  1. #1newbie12762007-03-22 21:36

    you need to contact the mass.dept.of public safety then they will send you a packet with app. you send them a passport pic copy of dot health card check off what class license you want and a check for i think 75 dollars then they will send you a location where a scheduled exam i being offered usually takes about 4 to 6 wks if i remember correctly

  2. #2Lashlander2007-03-22 23:12

    You guys need a license to run something hydraulic?

  3. #3dgreene2007-03-23 06:25

    In mass you do. thanks for the info.

  4. #4CM19952007-03-23 13:05

    A licenses to run anything hydraulic? :OMG That is outrageous. I am glad that down here in the south we don't have to worry about that - yet.

  5. #5lamarbur2007-03-23 18:05

    I've had my hydraulic license 25 yrs or more. I have 1C, 2A, and 4A.. 4A is unrestricted and the hardest to obtain, 99% get the 2A which is crawler or rubber tired excavators, loaders or backhoes.It probably goes back to some state senator or representative that went home one day and there was no gas to cook with, because someone ripped a line by accident in front of the guys house., A light bulb lit up, hey, more revenue for the state if we ahve everyone get a hydraulic license,

  6. #6thejdman042007-03-23 20:26

    Wow I have never heard of such a licnese, glad the morons in the IL leg, havent thought of this one yet, how long before they do who knows. ointhead

  7. #7CM19952007-03-23 20:35

    One question about the hydraulic license - what do rental stores do when a homeowner wants to rent a bobcat? Do they have to have a license?

  8. #8ARPlante2007-03-23 20:50

    The rental stores give a "temporary" license good for a few days and a little training on the basics of the equipment.

  9. #9Lashlander2007-03-23 23:27

    Is it just a written test? What type of questions are on it? What good has it done if any? I look for OSHA to make it mandatory for crane operators to get certified within a year or two. Personally I don't see that as a bad thing.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2007-03-23 23:49

    They don't call it Taxechusettes fo nothing!!:my2c

  11. #11CM19952007-03-24 00:25

    :falldownlaugh

  12. #12newbie12762007-03-24 07:12

    dissafe colors hand signals state laws general operating questions i think my test had 75 questions not hard if you have knowledge just a way to for the state to get their cut of the action

  13. #13John H2007-03-24 09:02

    A lot of the test was hand singals. The crane part was the hardest of the whole test. I have a 1B 2A 4B

  14. #14dgreene2007-03-24 09:43

    if i'm not mistaken I only need 2a. correct me if I'm wrong but that covers earth moving equipment?

  15. #15jimmyjack2007-03-24 09:46

    need one in rhode island, i think its more of a northeast / mid atlantic state thing. got mine in 2000, it says payloader/backhoe which means its everything but a crane and ithink fork lift. its the first thing they ask for if you hit a service when digging in the street or i've seen osha come on a job and ask who runs what machine and were's your operators license, you'll get a fine and the job will get shut down if no one has one ( seen it happen). as for questions i found i pretty easy it was common sense for the most part. all the questions are true/false or mutiple choice. i think it was like 40 or50 questions example ( that color does digsafe use for water BLUE than four questions down it says digsafe uses blue to mark what service WATER so they are pretty easy :beatsme ) well that was my experince getting my license and you need the passport pic and something written on company letter head saying you have used a machine before.

  16. #16lamarbur2007-03-24 11:18

    I got mine in the middle or late 70's era. At that time, it was 10 written, 10 verbal questions per section, and, they watched you run a machine. They use to set it up at local highway dpt's or large construction companies, and on Friday tests, Saturday watch you run a machine for whatever it was you pursued. I'm sure this has changed 15 different times since then.

  17. #17thejdman042007-03-24 15:20

    How do you show them a letter stating you have used the machine, if you arent suppsed to use one w/o a license? J/c if there is something like you must have 10-15 hours run time on the machine supervised before you go take your test. Sounds to me like just a revenue generator. If you dont mind me asking, about how much is the test? How ong is it good for

  18. #18CM19952007-03-24 15:34

    This reminds me of when I went to permit my first commerical building. I needed a commercial G/C license to get a permit. Even though this was my personal office I was building I could not get a permit. Well the G/C license board wouldn't give me the license because I have not built any commercial buildings. Can't get a license without experience and can't get experience without a license.:beatsme Gotta love the gov't.

  19. #19jimmyjack2007-03-24 15:50

    i dont know thats just what they ask for a passport photo , the letter and the money:beatsme . i dont remember how much it was something like 50 bucks maybe, it was less than 100 though. its good for one year you renew it on the month of your birthday and its 35 dollars to renew http://www.dlt.ri.gov/profregs/HoistMain.htm hope that helps

  20. #20jimmyjack2007-03-24 15:56

    thats the samething with cdl driving , most companys say min 24 years old and min 3years exp. i was lucky and got a company that put me in a truck when a was 18 and i've been driven since

  21. #21sitereadysteve2007-04-04 11:58

    sitereadysteve I offer a course 3 hours $100.to prepair you for 2A hydraulics licence in massachusetts .call me @ 508 294 2781

  22. #22Countryboy2007-04-04 19:15

    Welcome to HEF sitereadysteve! :drinkup

  23. #23jmac2007-04-04 23:13

    Ya know Countryboy you are very polite! I think that you have not missed one new member to welcome them to HEF, and I must add we have had allot of new members. I think Sir Digger and Steve should make you the official welcoming committee. Steve how come all the new members, congrats on that. You banned one and gained 20!

  24. #24Countryboy2007-04-04 23:18

    Your to kind. :usa Who got banned........:falldownlaugh

  25. #25jmac2007-04-04 23:29

    You deserve it :drinkup Very nice of ya

  26. #26sitereadysteve2007-04-05 07:54

    sitereadysteve Hey country boy .We got a lot in common I was a farmer,guess I always will be,I worked for deere you like em ,also bobcat,Im still a cattle auctioneer and sell materials for one of my old customers full time.

  27. #27mtb3452007-04-05 11:31

    in mass its 75.00 for the test 8.00 for passport picture 75.00 for d.o.t phyical all of the above has to be mailed to d.p.s in boston if you get caugth operating without a lic first offence 1000.00 fine second fine and jail

  28. #28sitereadysteve2007-04-05 11:53

    sitereadysteve If you know anybody who wants a prep course let me know $100. 3 hour course includes the book to study and we have the applications at the course.I hold them in Dartmouth Ma.

  29. #29CM19952007-04-05 11:58

    Wow!

  30. #30nedly052007-04-05 12:17

    I did a little drainage job witha 303 cat at my sisters house in MA. Didnt have a temp. card either glad I didnt get smacked with a 1000 fine. Do you have to live in MA to get the 2A? What machines can you run with 2A?

  31. #31sitereadysteve2007-04-06 07:51

    sitereadysteve loader backhoe excavator,dont have to be a resident

  32. #32mtb3452007-04-06 10:28

    i didnt pay company paid the fine i couldnt return to till i have lic

  33. #33Countryboy2007-04-06 22:29

    Yeah, I enjoyed the farming but now Big Business pays the bills. I'd go back if I could..........:usa

  34. #34HLNTOIZ2010-07-27 21:15

    Are you still doing the classes? What lic do I need to run a 20 ton excavator?

  35. #35stumpjumper832010-07-27 23:00

    man, what happens if you get caught running a wood splitter w/o a license? Sounds like a rev generator tax. I'm glad gov. spendell hasn't thought of that one yet. I can see a crane license and bucket truck inspections though.

  36. #36Speedpup2010-07-28 07:37

    Why you don't need a license now for a crane every where?

  37. #37diggerman572010-07-29 19:53

    The mass test is pretty easy. Just look up the CMR regs. online to study.(They're like the OSHA regs., but specific to Massachusetts.)HLNTOIZ, you would need a 2a license for a 20 ton excavator.

  38. #38Autocar2010-07-29 20:49

    My two cents thats a frikin joke ! Where dose all this B.S. stop ?

  39. #39HLNTOIZ2010-08-15 14:25

    Thanks, how big if a machine can I run with a 2a lic?

  40. #40diggerman572010-08-24 19:35

    I believe that the 2a license covers all sizes of excavators.

  41. #41aaron8132013-11-27 23:10

    Does the farmer rule still apply in ma? operating privately owned equipment without having or needing a hydraulic license

  42. #42lamarbur2013-11-28 05:59

    Mass is making major changes to the hydraulic laws. I received an email from public safety that as of June 1st 2014, all hydraulic license holders must attend some school for credits in order to keep the license, If not, license is not renewable, Secondly, that email did mention farmers and that they are no longer exempt.,. After holding an unlimited license for 35 years or so, doesn't make me a happy camper to go through all this crap which costs lots on money,, Lets face it, another money making scheme for someone in the state,

  43. #43mikebramel2013-11-28 11:11

    fascists

  44. #44aaron8132013-11-28 22:52

    I'm planning on getting the license regardless but it sounds alot like the forestry license they force you to take so many hours of classroom time every year in order to keep your license. Fascists is right, if all the farmers in mass new about what is going to happen with the laws most probably wont do it and others will probably just close up shop. Way to go mass first they want to help the farmers then stuff this down their throats. Almost all my time running heavy equipment was on farms, mine and employers. They should let the farmers have their licenses on a grandfathered basis, i know they wont but it would be a gesture of good faith towards the already troubled farms.