Working on my JD 310b. The long hose to the boom cylinder wore out, which requires removal of the boom cylinder to get at. I decided to replace the other 5 hoses too, as they looked pretty near done. And as an added bonus, had the boom cyl. repacked for good measure. 4 hard lines inside the boom.... one of which we could not bust the hose loose from without taking the whole tube out and using a vice with some heat. Fast forward to today, upon re-assembly, that line was leaking bad. Removed the whole line again, and though I had the joint tight, the inside threads on the b-nut have some damage. My question is, can the b=nut be replaced on these hard lines?? or am I looking at full replacement? I could get away easy with the line being a few inches shorter......... The line in question is one of 2 for the bucket, and runs the full length of the boom.... b-nut @ both ends held inside by a couple of clamps. Thanks
The fittings on the hard line are silver soldered on. No one local had the fittings, so I went with plan S. Replaced with hose. I'll have to keep looking for one of those old fittings, and add the hard line to my increasing stock of old stuff. ...thoughts to those getting pelted down southeast.
Would need pictures
Not sure what your fitting on the end of the line looks like but if it is a JIC connector those ends are available if one digs deep enough. One example: http://www.worldwidefittings.com/en/male-jic-braze-connector/ I know AeroQuip does sell them but their online catalog is in my mind terrible. In NE PA you should be able to find a decent hydraulic shop that could supply the fittings you need. Or as I have done in a pinch find a fitting that will couple with the hose you have and chuck it in a lathe and bore it out to fit the line you want to repair.
We'll see if we can't add a photo or two.....
I see that worked..! My brother in law... retired ** jet mechanic, called the fittings that swivel, "b-nuts". Not sure if I'm using correct term.
Looks like an NPS or pipe swivel. You can cut that off and put a compression end on. Clean the tube real well with a wire wheel and smooth over after you use a tubing cutter
I could be wrong but that looks like an inverted flare fitting to me. It would be nice to see the mating fitting.
Pretty sure that's a pipe swivel. Check the hose end, some of them were not made with the counterbore to seat in a pipe swivel. Might have been why it was so tight to start with.
Yep, it looks like a pipe swivel. https://www.shopcross.com/product/p...ght-pipe-swivel-34-nptf-male-x-34-npsm-swivel
I agree with lantraxco, being a Deere 310B, I'd wager that's an NPT pipe thread swivel fitting, I'd be surprised if it were BSPT inverted flare.
I'm still trying to learn what's common on this kind of equipment. We never used pipe swivels on anything I've worked on before. If we needed a swivel we used a JIC fitting...
I think you'll find newer machines will be JIC and then even newer flat face O-ring. Deere will never lose their farm roots and most all Ag stuff used pipe hose ends and pipe swivels that way a hose is hose is a hose, and all the reusable ends interchange, lol.
My knowledge of all the possible fittings in the "world of hydraulics" is very limited! Here are some shots of the hose end fittings. To my knowledge, all the hoses/fittings on the backhoe are these... I replaced all the control valve to swing tower hoses earlier in the season when the spools were redone( seals). And the swing tower to cylinder hoses as this maint. situation came up ( leaking hose).
It would certainly make stocking hoses easy I suppose. That explains the huge number of male pipe to mail pipe hoses hanging on racks at the local farm store.
Yes as a former aircraft mechanic we call any tube nut a "b nut". Not sure where that term came from and I agree with the upper comments it does look like a pipe swivel