One of the hard hydraulic lines on my Case 480D has developed a pin hole leak due to rust. It is for the left side loader cylinder, part #D68600... which I found out today is no longer available. Unfortunately there aren't any hydraulic shops near where I live, so I will likely need to mail order. I am figuring it will be easiest to replace this line with a hose (both ends will need to be JIC female swivel). What is the best place to internet order such a hose? What type of hose should I be using 1-wire, 2-wire, 4-wire?
Sorry, I don't have experience with any companies on the web that will make up the hose. I will give you some thoughts on this, I once was in the same spot. I suspect it is 2 wire. Most likely 100R2AT hose. I have purchased a lot of bulk hose from www.discounthydraulichose dot com So far the hose has held up. I have a friend who owns a machine shop and he had a crimper that he let me use. If you don't have access to a crimper, they sell field replaceable fittings, but these fittings can get expensive. I have used them to splice a blown hose, so they are good to have in case of emergency. I spoke with a guy at a local hydraulic shop, they will not use the replaceable fittings for any type of aerial lifting equipment due to liability, but for straight work, they have been fine. Here is a link to the field replaceable fittings. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SAE_100R2AT_Reusable_Hose_Fittings_s/63.htm The base of the fitting tightens on the hose with a left hand thread and then you tighten the swivel onto the base normal thread with normal wrenches. Also, our local NAPA auto parts store makes up hoses. Another inexpensive source may be Tractor Supply Co., though I believe their standard hose have straight male pipe thread fittings. Let us know how you make out.
You could weld it with an acetylene/ox torch and brazing rod. I have done it many times and have never had a weld like that fail.
outbackrider - thanks for the info, I didn't realize NAPA makes up hoses. I do have local NAPAs around so will need to check them out. Tinkerer - thanks for the idea. I ended up sand blasting the area and brazing the hole - only took a few minutes and basically a free fix. I haven't installed it yet, but hopefully it holds up.