Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic fluid level – 480D

Hybridiia · 2013-03-29 21:33

Hello - I recently picked up a 480D that needs a bit of work. I am going to start by changing all of the fluids/filters. One thing I noticed is that I am missing the stick part of my hydraulic tank dipstick - I only have a cap. Does someone have a dipstick that they could measure the length of the stick for me and how far up the max level is from the bottom of the stick? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-03-30 08:20

    If you have access to a bore-scope look inside the reservoir for the broken off stick. A new dipstick is over $75.00 from a Case dealer.

  2. #2fpgm042013-04-01 21:21

    Hybridiia, The overall dipstick is 21 inches from the bottom tip to lock ear that extends out to allow padlocking of the cap. The lock ear is in-between the black top cap and the sealing washer. As you say you have the cap, I assume this is your starting point. The add line is ¾ of an inch above the bottom tip. The normal safe range is 4 3/16 inch above the add line. My measurements are with a tape measure, and are approximate. I hope this helps

  3. #3Hybridiia2013-04-01 22:16

    Exactly what I needed, thank you very much! As noted above new dipsticks are $75, but I won't be needing one now.