Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Oil Change

XCRunner0 ยท 2013-02-22 23:54

Hey Guys, I just bought a CAT 246 and the hydraulic oil is a little low. Instead of putting new oil in with oil of unknown condition I was thinking about draining and replacing all the fluid. The spec'd dry capacity is 26gallons, approx how much should I expect to need to replace when I drain it, I'm assuming a fair amount will still remain in it. Also any recommendations on a specific oil, I'm not all that interested in paying for CAT brand, just a good generic. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2013-02-23 08:42

    What is your Serial # prefix..? I'm looking at the manual for a 246 of 5SZ-prefix and it states 9.3 gallons for the hydraulic tank. However there are other prefixes and some of them list 10.3 gallons as the tank capacity. Regarding hydraulic oil any good quality SAE 10W or ISO 32VG would be fine for your needs. Although Cat would tell you to use their HYDO oil you'd be wasting your money IMHO.

  2. #2XCRunner02013-02-23 14:57

    It has a serial number 5sz00453. That would be great if it was only 10 gal. Not sure were I got 26 from. Is 10 just the tank and could 26 be everything else?

  3. #3Nige2013-02-23 16:58

    For that Serial # the tank capacity is listed as 9.3 gallons. No capacity is listed for the complete system but IMO it might be 25% more than what the tank holds, no more than that. I can't find any system for that machine listed as 26 gallons, apart from the fuel tank is shown as 24 gallons. Might that be it..? Remember the refill capacities in the manual are only a guide. Fill the tank to the middle of the sight gauge with the oil at operating temperature and the arms lowered so the bucket is on the floor.

  4. #4NCPIPELINE2013-02-25 07:36

    I get a aux connector with a hose cut off, and fill the tank, then hold the aux hose in a bucket and empty the system, refill and do it again about 1 or 2 more times. This I found is the best way to flush out the majority of old fluid.

  5. #5XCRunner02013-02-25 23:30

    I like that idea. Thanks One more question related to hydraulics. My auxiliary circuit hydraulic override/interlock light is continually on. Its not necessarily a problem because I don't have any attachments, but my understanding was that its function was to allow aux hydraulics with the arm bar raised and that either pushing the console button or the joystick button would disengage it. Am I missing something? thanks

  6. #6yucca2013-02-25 23:56

    Do you plan on just draining the tank? Or are you going to drain from the hydraulic pump under the seat?

  7. #7NCPIPELINE2013-02-26 06:09

    Ya that is pretty strange, I have no idea why it would be on continuously, must be an electrical issue, maybe on of the other guys have a better idea. I was thinking maybe it was hard wired in by someone...

  8. #8XCRunner02013-02-28 01:21

    I was planning on draining it by the method described in the maintenance booklet. I think this was by the pump through the drain stop **** and hose.

  9. #9bullfrogjohnson2013-02-28 22:35

    If you raise the cab there is a -8 hose zip tied up by the center belly pan. This is the system drain line off the return manifold. Raise the loader frame in the air and install the safety latch. remove the plug in the end of the line and it will drain the tank and most of the control valve. Locate the emergency boom lowering valve in the right hand side of the engine compartment. remove the safety latch on the lift cylinder and open the ball valve for the emergency boom lowering and stand clear. shut off the ball valve and plug the drain line in the belly. remove the lines off the tilt cylinders and let the oil drain out. This will remove most of your hydraulic oil in the system. The system holds around 13 gallons bone dry.

  10. #10bullfrogjohnson2013-02-28 22:39

    Sounds like you have a short to ground in the wiring harness between the swith and the aux ecm located under the floor panel. I have also seen the ECM fail internally causing issues like this. If you remove the floor plate and the ECM is completely buried in dirt this could be a likely scenario.