Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Oil in NH LS190 is “milky color”

clansing1 ยท 2010-07-08 22:58

I have a New Holland LS190 Skid Steer. I noticed that the hydraulic oil is sort of milky in color or a light tan color. I sent off a sample to have an analysis done on it. My mechanic doesn't think it is water necessarily because it doesn't foam up. I was wondering what might cause this and if it is water how would it get there. We have flushed the system clean, but I want to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Replies9
  1. #1farm_boy2010-07-09 01:07

    You might check the gaskets around the neck of the hydraulic tank fill cap. I have seen these leak and this combined with a lot of rain can fill the hydraulic tank with water. Something simple...but worth checking.

  2. #2clansing12010-07-10 20:46

    Gaskets Good idea. The logical answer would be that the water would be getting in around the fill cap. I'm going to have this checked out. Thanks!

  3. #3kuangqy2010-07-11 18:20

    It is not simple like this. the water come from the tank air when temperature was changed. you had better keep tank full before the night every day.

  4. #4clansing12010-07-22 12:55

    Hydraulic Fill Cap Gaskets The gaskets on the LS190 were bad and did not completely seal off were the screws were. The design of the fill cap only allows the water to drain on one side and it is possible the water can pool in this area. We installed a Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket instead. Thanks again for the response.

  5. #5borken ls1702010-09-06 17:25

    yup i would look at the same seal

  6. #6jean2010-09-06 22:10

    am replying so i can post a question. apparently got to post 3 bogus replys before i can ask question. cant believe your mechanic said it wasnt water. foam is caused by air aint it?

  7. #7michaael2010-10-02 10:28

    What has to be done if you have milky hdy fluid?

  8. #8maddog2010-10-02 14:58

    COMPLETE oil change

  9. #9TD-20G2010-10-03 18:18

    Milky Hydraulic Fluid I forgot to add we flushed the hydraulic system and added new hydraulic fluid AND replace the gasket on the the fill cap.