Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic oil leaking into the motor

ms0115 ยท 2018-11-04 15:02

JD 240 D LC 1FF240DXLA0606277 Recently made some unrelated repairs to this excavator; Customer called and stated the oil level in the motor had risen to the point that it was blowing oil out of the blow by tube. So I am assuming the seal is out on the hydrualic pump that is mounted on the side of motor. Can these seals be replaced or is the pump done? I have not run up on this issue before. Thanks for any input.

Replies6
  1. #1uffex2018-11-04 15:12

    Good day ms We assume you are referring to the swing transmission? if that is correct the seal can be replaced but take care to fix the root cause may be a chocked case drain filter or over spill from the motor, best practice is to check the case drain pressure. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2ms01152018-11-04 15:47

    Uffex, Thanks for your response. I may not of worded it correctly , but I was referring to the engine that powers the excavator, not the swing motor. Thanks.

  3. #3TVA2018-11-04 16:07

    I assume that one has Hitachi pump, not Kawasaki, right?

  4. #4ms01152018-11-04 16:26

    Yes it has a Hitachi main pump. But the pump that is leaking is the one that bolts onto the engines front structure cover on the same side as the starter.

  5. #5uffex2018-11-05 10:56

    Good day ms From your description it sounds as if the pump is gear wheel pump for the pilot circuit if that is the case installing seals are not an option. Replace with new. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6ms01152018-11-05 11:10

    Pulled the pump and determined it needed to be replaced. Ordered a new one. Thanks for the help.