Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic on pneumatics

TVA · 2019-06-06 13:41

Hydraulic hose is really bad for pneumatics because of troubleshooting reasons! Hydraulic hose actually leaks as million tiny pinholes, which is almost impossible to hear - but it leaks fast! Had to work on old Pettibone Cherry Picker, almost all pneumatic connections was made with hydraulic hose with JIC fittings! Was a real nightmare to find air leaks! Finally I sprayed water on suspected spot on the hose and saw millions tiny bubbles! But I couldn’t hear a thing!

Replies2
  1. #1wornout wrench2019-06-06 20:09

    Let me guess Cotton covered hose with reusable fittings? Been there, done that. Kept a spray bottle of soapy water handy at all times

  2. #2TVA2019-06-06 21:10

    Also tried “push on” hose and fittings because that’s the only not crimped hose I could get at that time and place to attach to JIC fittings ( didn’t feel like replacing allot theAnd didn’t like it! This time it was crimped fittings but yes was a fabric jacket! Just so happened that I didn’t bring my AC backpack because machine didn’t have A/C in it, so my Big Blue wasn’t with me!