Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic pressure gauges and adapters needed

sfchovis ยท 2012-09-04 15:06

Hello, I know a few on here have set up their own gauges and adapters for checking hydrualic systems on backhoes, dozers, etc. Can you please guide me in the direction of what I need and where to get it. thanks Hovis

Replies8
  1. #1willie592012-09-04 20:52

    It depends on what you're testing sfchovies. For testing pilot pressure, 0 - 300 gauge or 0 - 500 gauge is sufficient. If you're testing main system pressure, you need at least 5000 psi gauge. I use glycerin filled gauges myself. You also need a short length, 2 to 3 ft of 1/4" hyd hose to connect gauge to test ports. As for fittings, depends on what's on the machine you're testing. Some have quick connect test ports, without them, you typically have to install a fitting T in the line you want to test. Any good hyd hose shop should be able to fix you up with required components.

  2. #2John C.2012-09-04 21:30

    I carry 4 ea. 6,000 PSI gauges, 1 ea. 5,000 PSI gauge and 2 ea. 600 PSI gauges. The quick couplers I use are the same one Cat uses on all the equipment. I found that out accidentally and just lucked into getting them for work on Link-Belts years ago. I also carry a couple of Komatsu style couplers and generally don't use them anymore because once you plug into the mail end, it leaks forever more. I built adapters to screw in instead. I also carry one adapter setup for DIN connections used on European built iron. I have six #4 hoses ten feet long made from Parker Super Two Wire with #4JIC swivel ends and a couple of hands full of adapters to work most any situation on most any machine. I built a plate with quick couplers so I can mount the gauges in a line, hook up each hose and then I can read multiple functions at once. Most all of this stuff I got from the local Parker dealer. I've built three of these kits in the last fifteen or twenty years and it lets me work on most anything. They are expensive but I couldn't count how many projects I picked up because I had what was needed to see all the parameters at once and determine what was actually happening and fix the problem.

  3. #3willie592012-09-04 21:50

    I use #4 JIC female ends on my hoses as well John C, pretty easy to adapt to them. One test fitting I did rig up was T fittings for ORFS fitting. On the right angle T, instead of adapting from ORFS to JIC, then reducing to the #4, I drilled the inner bore of the T, threaded with pipe thread, and fitted a pipe thread adapter to male #4 JIC, keeps the test fitting short that way.

  4. #4John C.2012-09-05 22:47

    Nice work Willie! Over the years I've learned more about a mechanic by what he carries in the tool boxes than from listening to claims of how many different types of machines they are expert on. I suspect you carry a fair share of shade tree engineering in your truck. When I get the chance, I'll get a photo of my kit.

  5. #5willie592012-09-05 23:08

    Yes, being a 130 lb runt, and working by myself on parts that are sometimes heavier than me, does lead to shade tree methods to get job accomplished John C. A man just has to be smarter than what he's working on. Pics of kit would be nice.

  6. #6kbeen2012-09-06 21:26

    sfchovis i have gotten most all of my gauges,hoses and fitting from our local cat dealer. they are liquid filled gauges. if you would like the cat part # for these items reply back and i can get them for you.

  7. #7John C.2012-09-06 22:21

    Here are the basics of my hydraulic box. The photo of the hose is what I typically use. The bag with the hose has a whole bunch of Komatsu adapters and fittings. I also have the adapter hoses plus a boost gauge stored below the tray. . Under that is where I store the gauges. The first photo shows the gauges installed on the bracket and I have a chain I use to hang the mess with when I'm working in a cab.

  8. #8willie592012-09-06 22:50

    I'm really liking that kit John C.