I have an 2006 case 580 sm and when I put in four wheel Drive and change it from forward to reverse or vise versa It makes like a clank sound and I've noticed that my from axle has play I can push the front axle back and forth about a half inch of play I was Wondering if I need to replace the pivot pin. I would surely appreciate any help Thanks guys
All backhoes will do that in time. It's just a mater of insertting a spacer or two. 1/2" sounds like a lot but if you measure the gap your dealer can get you the right spacers to fill the gap. Do you grease the pivot often?
Make sure u keep the kingpins lubed I learned the hard way! I had an upper king pin egg out the axle housing and I had to replace the whole damn axle .the grease fittings are in a bad spot the get whacked off all the time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deon has a good point. I would also crawl under machine with engine off and use front bucket to pick wheels up off ground then rock the drive line around in each direction and see if i can produce the clank you are hearing. Could be as simple as a u-joint going out or slack in the splines of trans or axle yoke. If it throws the drive line from either end while you are driving it could cause alot of problems! Worse case scenario would be your ring and pinion in axle or planetary gears in one of the wheels is wearing out. Easily see where slack is checking the way i stated.
And yes I can see the front axle move back and forth when IM driving it in rough terrain. I've checked all the u joints and yolks and they seen to be fine
I grease the pivot every 10 hours of operation
Can't ask for better maintenance than that. All I can say is the less play there is the longer the grease will stay in there and the less wear will occure. So fill the gap with spacers and keep on going.