Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic pressure test kit

Andy1845c · 2018-12-03 19:22

I don’t own one of these and am starting to get enough equipment that it might be time to look into getting one. I see them online for anywhere from under 100 dollars to over a grand. What should I look for in one andwhat should I expect to pay? I’ve always been one to want to get a good tool over something cheap

Replies11
  1. #1Junkyard2018-12-03 20:18

    What’s your fleet of equipment consist of? Based on my experience there isn’t one kit that covers them all. I’ve pieced one together over the years. If the machines all have test ports then it’s a matter of getting the correct fittings, a hose capable of the max psi and assorted gauges based on what system you’re checking. The cheap kits have cheap gauges. My gauge of choice comes from Cat. Often the larger more expensive kits come with various tees you may never use if you’re just wrenching on your fleet. The newer the iron the less fittings you’ll need at they’ve gotten good at putting test fittings where they need to be.

  2. #2JD955SC2018-12-03 20:21

    I just have individual gauges and hoses and get fittings as required.Cat has the part numbers in their dealer tools book for the gauges, test nipples, fittings and hoses.

  3. #3John C.2018-12-03 20:45

    The Cat test fittings are standard that can be sourced through any hydraulic hose and fitting house. Don't pay their price till you check the markets for a better deal. My set I custom made to fit one manufacturer's line of machines and I could adapt them to everything. I have about ten different gauges ranging from 0 to 10 all the way up to 1 to 10,000. I have five standard two wire hoses in 1/4" for excavators where you have to observe multiple functions while you are adjusting things. There are commercial kits but I don't usually find any that I would recommend. Multi gauges and box sets are crazy expensive and usually there is crap in the kit that fits nothing you are likely to work on. Start with what you need to accomplish the jobs you do the most. Testing hydraulic reliefs on excavators and wheel loaders maybe and then add as your fleet requires and your skills increase. Transmissions are another type of hydraulics where you will need plenty of fittings and a long hose or two. It's a good question and I'm sure there will be many more responses coming.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2018-12-03 21:20

    Checking the pressure is all well and good, but a flow meter makes the test lots more helpful, kinda like a Xray vs an MRI. as others have said check what the range of flow and pressures, that you are likely to encounter, and specify accordingly...

  5. #5excavator2018-12-03 21:25

    Like John said, "kits are crazy expensive..." Build your own kit, it takes some time but you will save money. Go to the Tifco web page and they show the contents to all their kits. Down load or print out the pages you need and then figure out what you need and start looking at different brands ect. And don't be afraid to look at EBAY, I've gotten alot of good deals on test fittings there. Several years ago I picked up a complete Tifco set for $400.00 and it looked like only 1 or 2 fittings had been used. I checked with the local rep and he said that kit sold for $5200.00 at the time.

  6. #6Andy1845c2018-12-03 21:31

    All my stuff is older. I was hoping someone offered a kit that was basically the gauges and a bucket of common fittings and tees. Its sounding like I might as well just buy a few gauges and round up fittings as needed. I bought an old skid loader this past summer that wouldn't move. The service manual pretty much has you start testing pressure at ports right away. I didn't have a way to do that so I just had to guess and start taking stuff apart. I have an issue I just asked for advice here on, backhoe won't shift in and out of four wheel drive as it should. I was advised to test pressure on a port. I am assuming id use a gauge like that here too. Thats basically the sort of thing I want something around for I guess.

  7. #7Delmer2018-12-03 23:33

    The JD manual will give you the thread size you need for the test port, and the pressure you're expecting to see. Then you get your gauge that is comfortably more than the pressure you'll test, and the fitting to match, plus whatever adapters you need to attach the gauge. You don't need a kit, because you know what you have already.

  8. #8f311fr12018-12-04 22:07

    Check out the A W Lake flow meters and test kits. See attached

  9. #9f311fr12018-12-04 22:08

    See attachment here

  10. #10Vetech632018-12-05 07:22

    Yeah, I wouldn't take anything in replacement of my flow meter. Its old enough I cant get parts for it anymore, but its been extremely dependable and accurate.

  11. #11Vetech632018-12-05 07:24

    ……..and it would be dam nice if manufacturers got together and standardized their test fittings. Over the years I could cram pack 2 service truck compartments with all the test fitting, adapters and test hoses I have had to get.