Some people have no brains or common courtesy when driving. We had a lot of snow today and the county roads hadn't been plowed yet. I was driving about 60km/hr. (40mph) due to the road conditions. Speed limit is 80 and I have an F150 4x4. About 1/8 of a mile before I had to turn onto a highway there is a subdivision. Some idiot doesn't look to see if anyone is coming and pulls out to turn left in the direction I was going. I touched the brakes and just slid. I had enough time to get on the horn but did they stop so I could get past them, no. They just kept going and when I still tried to see if I could get around them my right front tire went of the road and pulled me into the ditch. The *&^%$#! jerk didn't even stop to see if I was alright or needed help to get out. About a minute later another truck just drives right by. I could drive back and forth but the ditch was way too steep to drive up in the snow. Thankfully a lady stopped by a few minutes later and gave me a ride about mile to farmer I knew. His son brought his 4x4 and easily helped me get out of ditch. He said it's quite common for people hitting the ditch there because they don't bother to look for oncoming traffic. I would have loved to see that red car in ditch further down the road. Then coming down a more major highway that was cleared some idiot is driving way too slow and keeps hitting their brakes. I think they wanted me to slow down because after a couple miles they signalled to turn right but there were no roads. They abruptly slowed down and pulled over but were still half in the driving lane. If you're terrified to drive in winter conditions, stay the hell off the roads!
That's a massive pet peeve of mine when driving. Just ####ing keep to your pace and I'll pass when I feel its safe. Slowing down and moving over 3 feet to the right is doing nothing to help the situation. Its actually making it worse.
The biggest problem is down the center of the highway is a bunch of snow so you never know if you're going slide out of control when you hit it. I was getting close to horning the idiot for hitting their brakes. There was a truck right behind me as well but the idiot was probably 20 car length's behind the vehicle in front of him.
We had to go to a doctors appointment for me last Wednesday morning and wouldn't you know it was right in the middle of about 8 inches of wet snow. As this is only the second real snow of the season it seems like everyone has forgot how to drive in snow! Wife did the driving and I have no worries about her but those others scare the crap out of me all the time! Like Welder Dave says it's either people driving too fast or too slow. Then there are those who like to tailgate so now you have to spend most of your time watching the rear view mirrors!
Things I loathe about other drivers...…… 1. When they STOP at the beginning of an onramp and wait for clear traffic when there is at least 1/8th of a mile of merge lane in front of them. 2. When they STOP at the end of an onramp merge lane when they couldn't figure out how to merge into traffic. 3. When they STOP in the middle of the right lane of highway attempting to merge onto an offramp. 4. When they are driving in the passing lane, next to a semi truck, and they just stay there blocking traffic behind them for MILES. 5. "What stop sign?" The one you just ran through without even looking that cause me to slam on the brakes and squeal the tires...…….dumbass. Of course, I have a saying for myself when driving...………..Everyone driving slower than me is a moron, everyone driving faster than me is a psycho!
This is why I always say winter tires are a must have! Doesn't matter how good of a driver you are it's the other guy! Worth every penny in my opinion.
The other one that winds me up is drivers that feel the need to pull out onto the road right in front of you in a huge rush, only to turn off 100 feet up the road. Like seriously? You just put both us at risk just because you couldn't wait 4 seconds for me to pass?
Let’s not forget the idiots who cut in front of your bumper with inches to spare to get around the car in front of them in their lane that they ran up on. I get that one every day, multiple times a day. Or the ones that take a day to make a turn into a parking lot. I also love the idiots who are out early in the morning with nothing to do except go 15mph below the speed limit on a road with zero passing places. They don’t have a job to get to but they don’t mind holding up those of us who do
I’ve never understood the people who seem to think the yellow and white lines are like a brick wall. They won’t stray one wheel over the line even if it means almost hitting someone parked on the shoulder.
Glad I live in the south we only get snow about once every 7 years, sometimes a little more often than that. I also stay home when it snows because people can't drive when the weather is good so i know they can't when its bad
Or 10 under on a multi-lane but will get up to 10 over if you try to slide by...
Where I live, we don't get snow, but we can get ice. A couple years ago I was working on a project in the next town over during winter. The road there went through a gorge and was notorious for ice, so the only safe way was to crawl through the gorge in low gear. A few times, someone would decide that they would overtake me, and carry on as if it were summer. Of course, further up the road they'd be sitting in a ditch, looking miserable. Although it's now summer here, we've been having an incredible amount of rain lately. Earlier this week, it was absolutely bucketing down, causing surface flooding on the motorway which was up to a foot deep in places. The number of people that would not slow down and drive to the conditions was staggering!
While there's is always stupidity... I think the modern automobile is partly to blame. The driver is so isolated from the noise and road feel, along with the built-in intelligence... Anti-lock braking, active stability control, tires with incredible grip, auto transmission, etc that the average driver is merely sitting on his couch looking out the wind screen.
I agree. The old cars would get skittish long before you would actually lose control, and you could feel it and adjust your driving. The newer stuff, the computer compensates. So when you finally lose control, there's no getting it back.
Heck you guy's should live here in Walla Walla, It only takes 15 minutes to get across town but people here drive so close tailgating you can count the zits on their face in your rear view mirror. This town has 120 winery's and when it's some kind of wine tasting weekend the yuppies come in droves. By two O'clock on a Saturday afternoon they are so toasted from tasting all the bottles of Who Hit John you have to have eyes in the back of your head to keep from ending up Wine-O road kill. There are twenty- five winery's where I work at {shop is located at the airport} the speed limit at the port is 25. Early morning on those weekends the cars and tour buses start out 25 mph by 2:30 the average speed is 45 upwards to 50. We have witnessed tour buses moving at roughly 45 plus in a 25 zone in front of our shop dirt and dust flying trying to get the load of Wine Swine their hauling to the last swilling station. Truck Shop
oink … oink !
Like this
Kind of like a concert weekend at the Gorge?
Ah yes, the couch. Joins such kiwi inventions as the motorised bbq table, the motorised bar stool, and the motorised chilly bin.
It gets my goat especially when there is literally no one else coming the other way as far as you can see...ie they could have just waited a second or two for me two pass then taken all the time in the world to pull out when no one was barreling down at them.
Old fire tech instructor was once ranting about "kids these days" not wanting to pump at a high enough pressure for hose lines. When a fire truck is pumping, the fan clutch gets locked on, the transmission gets put in direct drive and the full output of the main drive shaft goes into the pump. This makes an awful lot of noise when you are standing 2 feet away from a truck motor that may be going half to nearly full RPM and power along with turbo boost, fan noise and wind, gears whining, etc. It is like standing next to a truck on a dyno test. The old man said they were afraid of all the noise because nobody rides down the freeway at 60 mph with their car windows open next to a semi any more, and knows how loud it is.