Alright guys, try this one.... 1984 cat 953 Loud whine for about 10 seconds and then no hydraulics.. No fluid on the ground, but when I took the fill cap off, it was near full and literally had steam coming out of the hole. fluid had the consistency of water. Although Im sure the pum went out, I am open to suggestion otherwise. Furthermore if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to get a new pump. or rebuild kit. Thanks guys. Matthew Union Carpenter
Its a vane pump so you can just get a cartridge for it.
what he said, likely cracked the outer ring. its only a couple hour job to rebuild the pump, just pay attention to how it came apart and put the new one back in the same way. and make sure it doesnt run without oil for even a second.
so try this one.... When the hydraulics quit working, I parked it where it was... today, I crank the loader, intent on taking it into the barn, and now the hydraulics work fine... I thought I had the problem figured out.... anyone know what wold cause the hydraulics to quit working the, and now the work fine?
Are you saying the machine has been parked since June? When it quit the first time, back in June, did the fluid look like it had water in it, milky looking color?
Yes, the machine has been parked since the end of June. The fluid was the normal color, just that it was as thin as water, not that there was water in it.
Also, when I took the cap of of the hydraulic reservoir, it had an incredible amount of air pressure behind it.
Air pressure normal, main pressure relief may have stuck ( whine noise ) change filters in hyd tank and pull them apart to inspect,
Talking about bobs without hydraulics. Was on a job the other day and they had a rental bob, which decided to stop for morning smoko. Turns out this baby melroe had a bearing let go on the idler which tensions the V belt driving the hyd pump.