Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic quick-disconnects: Is there a standard size and orientation for trailers?

Dirtmaster ยท 2012-06-14 03:36

I'm rebuilding a detachable gooseneck trailer and cannot find info anywhere on what, if any, standardization there is out there. Some questions I have are: 1. What hose diameter is used for the umbilical lines between truck and trailer? 2. Which sex is the high pressure output connector on the truck? M or F? 3. What connectors are used ( How about https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=928&catname=hydraulic )? I know I can do anything I feel like if it is my own stuff, but I would like to be compatible with other trucks out there, just in case I break down somewhere and need another truck with hydraulics to rescue-tow my trailer, or maybe I want to borrow/rent another trailer. Thanks, Dirtmaster

Replies9
  1. #1RNI Excavate2012-06-16 09:18

    I Use 1" lines on my dump trailer and my detach. These are the connectors I use and I see many others also using. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/4100_Series_Wet_Line_Couplings_p/4100-set.htm As far as M or F for Pressure and return lines I am not really sure. I have had them hooked up both ways and they worked fine. Hope this helps.

  2. #2Dirtmaster2012-06-17 00:59

    Hi, Those are quite different than what I'm used to seeing around here, but I'm new at this. I see that this style you pointed out can be coupled under pressure, too. The ones I plan on using can't, but I don't need to, anyway. Thanks for the input. Dirtmaster

  3. #3Komatsu 1502012-06-17 11:53

    The screw together couplings are really very nice. I am so sick of fighting "quick" couplers.

  4. #4Dirtmaster2012-06-18 01:07

    Yeah, maybe we should officially rename them "slow couplers" or "infuriating couplers".

  5. #5Exact Express2012-07-04 20:31

    You may think you won't need to couple under pressure, but sometimes the change in temp can be enough to build pressure in your lines and make them hard to get hooked up.

  6. #6johndeere1232012-09-24 19:49

    We use the wing nut system and put the male fitting on the trailer for the pressure side. For the return side we have been putting the hose permanently attached to the trailer rather than the truck. I like this setup because when not in use you can couple the two together to keep out any contamination. It is also less stuff in the way on the truck when you don't need it.

  7. #7Dirtmaster2012-09-26 14:02

    That's pretty clever, actually. I like that.

  8. #8dumptruck2012-10-07 22:40

    We use the wing nut set up on the low boy, and live floor trailers. We use a slightly smaller connector for the pressure line, and a larger line for the return. We have the male connectors on the truck side with brass caps. The female connectors are on the trailer.

  9. #9willie592012-10-07 23:15

    I agree with others, the wing style coupler performs well for wet lines on trucks/trailers. They will connect under pressure, although it takes a good bit of turning pressure on the wing nut to do so if pressure is considerable. The biggest drawback I have with wing style coupler is oil loss when disconnecting as they do drop a small amount of oil whenever you pop them loose. If you connect/disconnect quite frequently, this causes an oily mess on your truck frame over time, and I'm not fond of an oily mess. For this reason we have fitted Stucchi VEP HD flat face couplers on our de-tatch trailer and truck. Yes, they are more expensive up front than typical wing style couplers, but they don't drop oil when disconnecting. The flat face design makes them easy to wipe clean of debris, and they couple easily under pressure. http://www.stucchiusa.com/PRODUCT SERIES/VEP_HD.html