Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some input on a rack for tag trailer

toomuchtime ยท 2012-07-19 10:35

Whats up guys need some pics and suggestions if you have them. Here's what I got I have a 20' with a 5 dove tail 48k tag trailer. I put my cat 289c and 305.5d on there they barley fit literally lol. I need to build a rack on the front of the trailer to hold some attachments or buckets etc. anyone ever seen a setup like this and maybe some pics? Its real tight but I think i can fit a rack to hold two skid steer buckets and attachments on top will go partially over the tongue. any ideas or pics?thanks

Replies12
  1. #1DGODGR2012-07-20 00:15

    I'll see if I have a picture of my set up. No rack but a possible suggestion that would be much less money and effort. I have a Towmaster T50. If I remember correctly I have 22' of deck (50,000# payload). I can put my Bobcat 435, A300, and my walk behind compactor (Wacker RT 820) on it, all at the same time. I think you may be able to fit a bucket up front, on the existing deck, if you would move everything a liitle further to the back of the trailer. Try putting the blade, of the mini, to the very back of the deck (at the break over point), with the back part of the undercarriage inside the skid steer bucket. Maybe then you would have enought room for a skid bucket. Since you are in CA, I'm sure you've seen many O/O backhoe guys with tag trailers that have bucket wells running down the center of the deck. On your trailer you've got enough room for several buckets and a hammer. Food for thought.

  2. #2buckfever2012-07-20 18:55

    I would be careful putting anything on the toung. It might affect your turning radious. I have seen where a guy welded two C-chanels under the trailer so he could put his forks on the side and not take up any trailer space.

  3. #3DGODGR2012-07-20 23:39

    I would also be concerned about interfering with the tow vehicle if you are pkanning to add deck over the taper of the tongue. I also have the ability to carry the forks, on my skid steer trailer, as you have described. I did not use C channel though. I used 5" x 2" rectangular tubing. On closer inspection, I see that you already have the mini as far back as possible. I bet you still could get (1) skid steer bucket up front if you moved the skid more to the rear (with mini tracks in the skid bucket).

  4. #4The Learner2012-07-22 06:12

    you could turn the skid around and then build the frame over the bucket just an idea build so you can any bucket for your skid in any position on the rack ie make enough clearance for your biggest bucket on each shelf

  5. #5The Learner2012-07-22 06:17

    build the rack in this red box

  6. #6The Learner2012-08-12 05:44

    what came of your bucket rack did you build one?

  7. #705rammer2013-04-01 15:30

    I'd also like some info on this topic.

  8. #8toomuchtime2013-05-20 11:52

    Yes I finished it. Painted the trailer,welded up the rack,tubbed the dovetail for the excavator bucket. Been working it for a few months working out great so far. Let me know if you want more pics.

  9. #9Randy882013-05-20 13:04

    Looks good

  10. #10toomuchtime2013-05-20 16:42

    thanks im happy with the results. I had a man moment. I thought agh couple days ill knock that out. Took me about a week of working on it after work at night turned from a fun project to lots of work lol.

  11. #11CM19952013-05-20 19:37

    Nice job!:thumbsup There is nothing better than to have all the tools you need every time you leave to go to a job, no wasted time or trips back to the shop to get what you need. Screen name getting the best of you..:cool2

  12. #12toomuchtime2013-05-21 07:55

    lol exactly cm never enough time!