Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydraulic tank seeping- IHI 80NX

damnescavator ยท 2021-05-12 08:59

Any idea what to do about a seepage at the mounting bracket on the bottom of the hydraulic tank? Previous owner apparently left it loose, vibration cracked it. IHI wants $2500 plus shipping for a new one from Japan (whew). We are in Atlanta area.

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2021-05-12 12:23

    Drain, remove, have pickled, welded, pressure tested, paint, reinstall.

  2. #2damnescavator2021-05-12 17:59

    Yep. Pumped it out and pulled it yesterday. Mulling over what to do, gonna need a lot of rebuilding. This is a tough tank that was hit by something heavy on top at some point. I suspect that is what caused the crack at the bottom & seepage.

  3. #3damnescavator2021-05-13 19:47

    I stripped the paint off it, sealed and pressurized it today. As predicted, there's a small crack on the bottom from the heavy blow that came to the top. Should be fixable with a good bit of welding. Top plate needs to be cut out and replaced, bottom bracket needs cut off to access the cracks, then button it up. Lot of work but still way cheaper than a new tank.

  4. #4damnescavator2021-05-25 16:49

    Done. Repairs ran around $500. I hope it lasts.

  5. #5southernman132021-05-26 20:51

    Cool deal hope it holds up lotta work fosho!

  6. #6damnescavator2021-12-02 16:16

    I installed it a few months ago and it works fine. No leaks.