Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic thumb help

RichLyons · 2023-02-09 20:35

I have a 2007 Mustang ME3503 mini excavator. I bought it used and it came with a manual grapple thumb. I'm looking to add a hydraulic thumb. Can anybody recommend the best place to get one? The simpler the better. I'm new to the mini game. All I know is the bolt on manual one is in the way and a pain to hook up when we need it.

Replies7
  1. #1Tags2023-02-10 06:43

    I put a thumb on a Kubota KX71 a couple of years ago and used these guys https://www.northsaw.com/page/ thumb has held up well and it is a quality made attachment. I’m not sure how mustang does it, but I had to add relief valves to the already in place factory foot valve. This allows the bucket to push the hydraulic thumb back without turning the cylinder into a banana.

  2. #2RichLyons2023-02-12 12:17

    Thank you. It's Sunday, so I sent them an email. Appreciate it.

  3. #3Tugger22023-02-12 15:01

    Ask about a rocker switch on your control lever instead of a foot control if possible. Much easier running a thumb with your thumb than your foot. We used to make them and install them with a cross port relief and the cylinders had porting designed to cusheon the action of the thumb at each end of the stroke.

  4. #4Simon C2023-02-12 21:28

    There is a company called Ellis Fabrication by Calgary Alberta Canada in a smaller town called Innisfail, Alberta. They make quality Pro-Link thumbs for all types of mini-excavators. They have way more range and are made of T-1 Steel. Have seen some of their units years later and still in excellent condition. Your American dolllar would lower the cost for one of these. They quoted me around $5000.00 , 2weeks ago on one of these for a John deere 60G size machine. That was $2500 less than other suppliers and better quality. Yours would be smaller and less. Hope you find what you want. Simon C

  5. #5Tugger22023-02-12 23:20

    Yes Simon they are good i have one of thier thumbs on my 303.5 Cat . Excellent product support after to. I thought he might have been abit too far away but its a small world now.

  6. #6jbernielh2023-02-13 21:16

    likewise a thumb (pardon the pun) up for Ellis I have one on my cat 304.. I needed a seal kit for the thumb ram which is also made by Ellis.. I needed some tech information as well and they provided drawings and some tech help on a phone call.. only down side to the transaction was I couldn't buy direct from them, I had to go through finning.. wasn't a big issue as my local finning guys are good to deal with..

  7. #7csthompson122023-02-19 21:39

    https://showtimefab.com/ Nice quality thumbs that are reasonably priced. Great company yo deal with as well.