Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic torque wrench purchase

8922659 · 2021-02-14 10:16

Need to update / improve my hydraulic torque wrench setup . 6000 pounds torque top of range I see . What pros an cons of different brands ?

Replies11
  1. #1JD955SC2021-02-14 13:26

    We have Hytorq at work. An air powered Jgun 3/4 that goes up to like 2000 IIRC and an Avanti hydraulic 1” that goes up to 6k. We get good support from our rep and so far they have stood up to the idiots that break anvils. Rep says they have different size/type reaction arms available. The Avanti’s power unit has enough ports to support four tools at once. We rent cassete type units as needed. I have been pleased but have not used other units to compare.

  2. #2Nige2021-02-14 16:12

    Agreed. After having used Hytorc for a few years now no way would I condier recommending going back to hydraulic torque tooling unless it was for specific circumstances. 6000 ft lb is well within the capacity of the Hytorc range. Do you have any space limitations to get the tooling on to the hardware that you need to torque.? That might require a cassette system.

  3. #389226592021-02-14 16:25

    Be just general equipment repair going away from manual torque multi . When foot pounds start going up manual starts getting unsafe I feel

  4. #4Nige2021-02-14 16:38

    Any mention of torque multiplers makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Had too many close shaves with those things. I've found that most of the latest-generation of manuals don't list torque multipliers as recommended tooling any more in the case of high-torque fasteners.

  5. #5Cmark2021-02-14 16:43

    the 6V6080 widowmaker

  6. #6Nige2021-02-14 16:49

    Always brings my mind back to this incident. The poor lad wasn't even at the stage of being married yet....... https://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Documents/Safety/MSH_SIR_133.pdf

  7. #789226592021-02-14 17:13

    The cassette type if you have say 3inch do you have inserts you put inside 3inch for smaller sizes?

  8. #8Nige2021-02-14 17:37

    Correct. They are called reducers. Usually come as a set with the wrench (or as an extra) and cover all the standard hex bolt head sizes between an upper & a lower size.

  9. #9rmllarue912021-02-14 17:47

    In northeast usa in my experience torcup over hytorc Have 3/4 and 1" drive both are great

  10. #10JD955SC2021-02-14 22:12

    We have one of those old POSs in the toolroom. I am not a fan of it. One of our now former employees told me he got the hell knocked out of him and thrown off a ladder when it broke one time while he was using it to torque hammer mounting plate bolts.

  11. #11Welder Dave2021-02-15 18:42

    Sweeny Hydratight is another good hyd. torque wrench. It looks like they might be part of Enerpac now. Shop I worked at used one to tighten flange bolts to 5000 ft./lbs. and I think it went up to 8 or 10,000 ft./lbs. htbr0030817ustorquesolutionsbrochurelres.pdf (hydratight.com)