Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic valve is mechanically stuck.

Lokel Yokel ยท 2015-09-02 11:52

My 1985 Ford 555a has a mechanically stuck bucket valve. It's the valve that gives the bucket it's wrist action. I removed (7) valve spool cover. And (22) Boot retainer. The valve spool should push out the bottom. But sure enough it is stuck in the body. I would guess that something has broken. Maybe (14) detent balls and (12) detent sleeve. I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove all the valves so that this one can be dissembled or replaced. Before I do that.....can anybody see anything in the diagram that jumps out as a potential problem? Has anybody had to deal with this before and or know of a source for a rebuilt complete valve body? I suppose too that something could have gotten stuck in the valve from somewhere else.

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2015-09-02 13:27

    Those detent balls should stay external to the body, unless screw 15 has come loose. Have you removed the plate and seals from the clevis end? Might be nothing more than a piece of one of the spool seal O-rings came loose. If it was me I would try some gentle taps with a small hammer and a drift, see if it will move at all. If it does work it back and forth a bit, see if you can unstick it enough to pull the spool out and inspect.

  2. #2Tinkerer2015-09-02 13:30

    Is the snap ring #8 need to be removed ? Or do you have it off already ?

  3. #3Lokel Yokel2015-09-02 13:43

    I'm going to remove the snap ring and just start unstacking things. hopefully I'll get to where I can see that screw even without being able to get the valve to drop down and out. The next move, I suppose, is to remove the who rack of valves and take it the whole assembly to the shop. Just worried I'll take it apart and not be able to get parts. Then the machine is stuck where she sets. I'll let you know what I see when I pull the snap ring. Justin

  4. #4Lokel Yokel2015-09-02 22:01

    I couldn't get the valve to pull out of the body. Thanks to whatever has it mechanically locked. so I pulled the whole stack of valves and I'll run it to the shop for disassembly and fixing. I hope! Thanks for the input earlier guys. I'll touch base when it's all over and let you know what happened. Justin