Today I put it to work and after about an hour of hard work, moving spoils in first gear and shuttling between forward and reverse a lot, it quit moving. The hydraulics are still strong but the forward/reverse quit working. The linkage looks good and the reverse alarm still beeps when in reverse but the machine doesn't move. After about 2 hours I started it, put it in 5th gear and then shuttled to forward and the machine worked. I then went back to work in first and after the first bite from the spoil pile it would not reverse. It will not go into forward or reverse again. I pulled the plug and checked the screen in the tranny and it is clean. Any ideas?
This morning my girl started and moved fine; I shut down and pulled the transmission filter and it looked gray/metallic. I don't have a new one and can't find one locally until next week. I think the transmission was starving for oil because of the clogged filter but I don't have gauges to verify. The question is why the transmission filter clogged. Last week I changed the fluids and filters, checked screens (they were spotless), re-packed 4 hydro cylinders, replaced 6 hoses, replaced injectors and had the injector pump rebuilt. All this was in anticipation of going to work this week. Could the filter have clogged because of the repair work? (One of the cylinder's piston nut had backed off some and there was movement and wear on the piston/rod interface.) The machine had been sitting idle for about a year so I just had it hauled to another property. I found no fiberous material in the filters so I don't think the clutch packs have exploded. How safe would it be to replace filter as needed to try and clear up the system? Whats the best way to track down the source of the debris? Thanks, Taggert
All that contamination can be from all the work you did. Also the vent system on the 710B sucks literally. it will suck in moister and or just allow water to get in to the transmission ( heavy rain or wash down. ) When i rebuilt mine i changed that filter every 2 hours of operation 5 times before it did not have crap stuck in it. Thurston
Since the filter change I have gotten 12 hours of work in before being shut down to repack the backhoe bucket cylinder. Now that that's done with I'll change the filters again to inspect and get back to work. I feel like this machine will be completely rebuilt and I'll be broke before I finish my house. She's strong but she growls at me from time to time. Thurston: did you ever get your tach working? I repaired gauges two weeks ago and hacked my 3 wire alternator for a tach signal and it worked for the first time since replacing the alternator 4 years ago. I did this to check and adjust the rebuilt injector pump. I then verified the RPM's with a photo-tach and went to calibrate the tach and as I adjusted the tach the needle dropped to zero and hasn't moved since. Here is a pic of the cut I've been doing to prepare for a new house build: Taggert