I have a mustang 2042 thabreaks down on power a bit. Thanks to this excellent forum I diagnosed a leaking drive motor - chain case had far too much oil in. A quick call to local hydraulics shop and he said whip the motor out and drop in for pressure test etc. Did this yesterday. Today I did some more reading here and realized what an idiot I am - I did not clean the connectors thoroughly and have no stoppers for the hose ends. I am now paranoid that dirt will end up in the system and ruin the pump as found in other threads. Do I need to flush out the system? If so, how is this done. Or can I simply wash the hose ends thoroughly somehow? Any advice will be much appreciated. Ric
Welcome to HEF Aus2024. :usa I don't know much about a Mustang loader or how they're arranged, is it possible to disconnect the two hoses from the drive pumps (clean the fittings before disconnect of course), then blow some solvent through the hoses with air pressure to clean them out?
Thanks willie59. Thats a brilliant solution - so simple really. Haven't yet traced the hoses in question but the pump (at least I think its the pump) is right at the top just under the seat so should be easy to get to. What would be the best solvent to clean around the fitting?
Should be fairly easy to trace hoses back to the pump. Clean those fittings with brake cleaner or starting fluid, blow clean with compressed air. Then you can disconnect hose connections at pump and flush those hoses out.
Yair . . . Interesting you bought this up Aus2042 . I helped a young feller who did the same thing a few months back and was nearly going to put a thread on here about the importance of a good clean before dismantling components. As willie59 mentioned we cleaned the next connection back and disconnected the hoses . . . an awkward time consuming dirty job on a mower. . . and discovered another problem. In a belated attempt to do the "right thing" he had pushed little wads of rag into the hoses "to keep the dirt out". If you do not have a selection of plugs a far better option is to encapsulate the hose ends in masking or duct tape. Even one corner of a large piece of rag poked in there is better than little rolled up wads that could be left in place by mistake . . . it has happened. A bit of time spent with a paint brush, degreaser and even just a bucket of water is always time well spent in my opinion. Cheers
While the hoses are still disconnected, start it up and move the controls for the drive motor, this will spray oil out the ends of the hoses and do a pretty good job of removing any dirt that is inside.
Yair . . . fair enough Plant Fitter but the return and/or case drain? Cheers.
It sounds like a drive motor to me, so the return line becomes the pressure line if you move the control the other way. Case drain, may not always work, but sometimes if you start something up with them disconnected, oil will come out of it due to it being connected to other sections of the system which are also returning oil. This is not always the case though. Like you say, it is better to try to get it clean before dismantling and plug the connections to keep the dirt out and you wont have to deal with the problem. Doesn't help for the original post when it has already happened though.
Yair . . . Plant Fitter Gotcha mate. (laughing) Just testing. Some drive circuits are not bi-directional of course. Main thing is to get things clean before you crack them. Cheers
Thanks for all advice - fittings are now shining like new and hoses blown out. Next thing is what does it mean to time the motors?