I have a Gehl 7810 skid steer with a Perkins engine. Actually belongs to my father so I can get more details from him on the year and model. Its at least 7 years old and has the turbo. I believe it was the biggest one they made at the time. Have had an intermittent problem with it losing power for a very long time. Replaced fuel pump twice. Just finished replacing the (very expensive) fuel injector pump. No change. The only way to start it is to bleed the injector lines while cranking it. Runs fine at an idle but when engine is under load it quickly bogs down and starves for gas. Last year it stalled a couple of times in the middle of the road and we had to prime with gas to move it. The last time, the engine seized. $12,000 later with a rebuilt engine, it still does the same thing. Fuel lines seem fine. No leaks on any fittings. No water in fuel. We are pretty desperate for some answers. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know newer Perkins, but if it's anything like the old ones I'd put some clear tubing in the suction line and the return line and see where the air bubbles are. Could also tee a vacuum gauge into the suction side of the fuel pump, and pressure gauge right before the injection pump, with hoses run into gauges in the cab so you can see what is happening when it loses power. Or you could clean the tank, or hook up a temporary tank to see if that solves the problem.
Thanks Delmar! Some good suggestions. I'll try the clear tubing. I don't think any bubbles are being introduced through the tank or pick up tube because the sediment bowl is above it and would be full of bubbles. A temporary tank above the fuel filter will be my next attempt. At least maybe I can eliminate some possible causes. I'll post back after I try this.
Sounds like a classic case of diesel bugs to me.
I own Gehl 7610 fuel line was kinked in tank. Fuel line is strait and if plastic tank is pushed up it will bend fuel line. The update was a line that had a 90 degree bend in it. I just cut my line shorter because I wanted to get machine put back together .Machine had 1800 Hrs on it and took many years to resolve fuel issues . Also had starting problems installed new starter all new cables 2 new batteries still no start.The battery disconnect was defective .