Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydro Ax 311C

redprospector ยท 2014-04-25 00:09

I picked up a Hydro Ax 311C a while back. I haven't been able to find out much about it, one dealer told me that he didn't know that Hydro Ax ever made a 311C. If anybody knows anything about them, I'd appreciate anything I can get. Especially hydraulic pressure/GPM, I'd like to put a mulching head on it if possible.

Replies6
  1. #1old-iron-habit2014-04-25 03:17

    I have not seen a 311C but Hydro Axe configured the machines to the intended use. They used different manufactures of attachments at different times. A machine used for a mulcher could have different pumps and controls than a tree shear, and still another setup for a hotsaw. You wil have to determine if you have the right amount and size of pumps, controls, and the correct plumbing to the front of the machine. I have a 411B that would need another pump added and circuitry for it to convert to a hotsaw. You should be able to count hoses and compare to other machines to see what it had for a head originally. With the ongoing buyouts going on in the industry I am not sure who owns Hydro Axe now to contact to see what the build number translates into.

  2. #2redprospector2014-04-25 10:38

    It's got a 16" shear on it. I'll probably have to add a pump and plumbing to run a mulcher. Not the end of the world to do, but it would be nice to have some details on my machine. I didn't realize when I got it that I was getting such a rare machine.

  3. #3lantraxco2014-04-25 15:29

    Hydro Ax was bought up by Prentice, which was purchased by CAT.

  4. #4partsandservice2014-04-25 21:12

    Been a while but these machines usually had a two section gear pump. One section for all hydraulics and the other dedicated to the shear Clys or saw motor. Shear Clys require more flow than a saw motor which would be similar to a mulching head motor. The dealer always says you have to change pumps to change from a shear to a saw, I beg to differ. I have done this swap many times, but you have to have a variable displacement motor that you can slow down to compensate for the high flow volume. You can use the existing control valve section but will have to install a check valve in pressure line because it is not a motor spool valve. The other issue you will have with with the gear pump set up is heat as every time the mulched get stalled it will blow over the relief creating heat and an additional oil cooler may be nessesary.

  5. #5redprospector2014-04-28 23:17

    Thanks for all the info guy's, it gives me a good place to start.

  6. #6redprospector2014-05-02 22:41

    Well, I found a Prentice dealer in Colorado (closest to me) that was very helpful. I've got a full set of books on the way. I did find through serial #'s that the shear is a "high speed" shear, and that to run it the pump is pushing 55 GPM at 3000 PSI. When I get the books I'll see if I can turn up the pressure a few hundred pounds, but I believe it will run a mulcher as is if necessary. Probably need a cooler though.