Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydro axe machine as a makeshift farmer tool carrier?

davejo ยท 2025-05-03 07:44

611 machine with what looks like a quick attached shear head. I see other machines advertised with different front end attachments. https://carolinausedmachinery.com/hydro-ax-611b-ii-feller-buncher-11071238 how would this machine do with a regular dirt bucket? Would it function at all like a wheeled loader for general farming chores like dirt, manure and fertilizer piles?

Replies7
  1. #1DDoug2025-05-03 07:59

    for $32k I would think a simple JD or other common loader would be a better idea. Parts avail. for a big reason.

  2. #2davejo2025-05-03 09:18

    Sorry that was an example with multiple "tools" shown. The machine in question is $7000 so I would have to make my own attachments. I do have a limb cutting attachment I run off an old excavator that I could adapt and this might be handier driving fencerows than an excavator. We do have a small area of woods that the tree shear might be used for

  3. #3Plebeian2025-05-17 23:10

    Purchasing an old machine is usually just the start of the ongoing expenses of adapting and using the machine for a task it was never primarily designed for. One is only limited by imagination, engineering kit & skills available and account balance. "School Bus Turned into Hay Bale Loader" youtube video. Trucks turned into tree shelter trimmer. (More wrecked trucks available for parts than forced to a tractor dealership for parts)

  4. #4davejo2025-05-18 07:05

    Yes that hedge trimmer is a bit like my excavator setup. I got interested when I saw pictures of the machine. It looks like a tool carrier with flotation tires to me. I've been on the lookout for a cheap wheel loader. If something had auxiliary hydraulics on the front, it would be even better but I think wheel loaders would only have low flow capability, at best. My limb saw takes about 30 gpm and I'm assuming a feller buncher would have that up front. I wonder if a feller buncher would have enough torque to push a bucket into a stockpile of dirt or rubble.

  5. #5davejo2025-05-18 07:49
  6. #6Vetech632025-05-18 08:26

    The boom design on a hydro-Ax is not designed to dig. Will it dig...........sure, but I would be very cautious and careful with it.

  7. #7Truck Shop2025-05-18 14:02

    DMiller needed that just a few days ago.