Got a Perkins 1004.42 on a wc17 wood chipper. The story is it was leaking around head gasket and started overheating. Got hard to start. It was taken out of service. I bought it as a project but need a little advice. I started small and pulled head. I did the poor man’s ring test and poured oil in all cylinders. They all held for several days. Took head to shop and they said it was warped. Did a valve job and shaved head. After the head job and new head gasket it only has 300psi on 3 cylinders and 200psi on 1 cylinder. I can’t get it to start (not even on ether). Would not even hit the slightest bit. I know it’s certainly not ideal compression but figured it would still run. I bled the fuel system. Had fuel spitting out each fuel line at injectors while spinning over. Took out each injector and did pop test. They seemed ok. Any suggestions? I’m hoping I’m not looking at a total engine build.
This a mechanical injection engine? Try cracking only one injector line at a time. Sometimes they suck air back into the line on destroke.
Oh yeah I did that after I got fuel up there. Still nothing.
Hook the injector back up to the line with the injector out of the engine.. & spin the engine over.. You want to see if the pump is putting out enough pressure to pop open the injector.. DO NOT BE NEAR THE SPRAY.. It CAN AND WILL penetrate your skin and you’ll be spending the rest of the week in the hospital..(blood poisoning) Good luck
If it's only 200 psi on one cylinder that's an issue. Those engines are known for bad cranks. Doesn't make much sense after head rebuild it doesn't run at all.