Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyster 210XL Perkins 1006.6 Piston Skirt Scuffing

Double N Hay ยท 2024-08-12 23:59

I have a 1996 Hyster 210XL that we out of frame overhauled about 500 hours ago. Since the overhaul it has had a heavy clicking noise. Runs well, doesn't burn oil and power seems adequate but the noise hasn't gone away and has slowly gotten louder. At about 100 hours we thought that it was a loose valve so we ran the valves again and they were all where they should have been. We ran it until now and the clatter has gotten worse so we put a camera down the injector hole and seen scuffing in the cylinder liner on hole #3. We tore it down and I have attached pictures of some pretty rough piston skirt wear in 3 different holes. What has caused it? It hasn't overheated, hasn't ever had ether. It just doesn't add up. We did a Maxiforce overhaul kit when we rebuilt it previously. I am not a fan of aftermarket overhaul kits but we were having trouble finding Perkins kits at the time. Are we just having trouble with cheap aftermarket parts? I have 6 Perkins liner kits, mains and rods to put in. Are we missing a bigger issue? Will I be here again in 500 hours? Thanks for the help.

Replies4
  1. #1MarcusZ19672024-08-13 06:23

    Oh wonderful news on the Perk aftermarket parts. I'm gonna be working on a JG4.203.2......

  2. #2Dave Neubert2024-08-13 07:48

    does it have piston coolers if so are the blocked or missing

  3. #3Double N Hay2024-08-13 09:24

    I will go back and check again but I don't remember seeing any holes drilled in the block for piston coolers. The weird thing is when we overhauled it previously I vaguely remember seeing the same skirt scuffing. Difference was that engine had at least 5,000 hours on it instead of 500.

  4. #4Double N Hay2024-08-13 13:30

    I did check and this engine doesn't have the piston cooling nozzles. The turbocharged model does, mine is naturally aspirated.