Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyster 50 XL no forward gear

Dodgeguy44 ยท 2025-06-04 16:07

Vin: A177B16658G. Pedal forward/reverse. Runs good, backs up good but only tries to move forward. I disconnected the left pedal linkage and still nothing but engine will not turn over with the linkage disconnected. Starts good when connected.

Replies2
  1. #1tractormech2025-06-05 00:52

    If it "tries" to move forward, but reverse works fine, that discounts a bad foot switch or transmisdion coil. My bet is that forward clutch is worn out, the clutch piston seals are blown, or both. If there's pressure test ports you can put a gauge in and check both forward and reverse and compare the two.

  2. #2Dodgeguy442025-06-05 09:40

    Yes, I think you are right. I wasn't sure when the linkage is disconnected it won't turn over was possibly the clutches stuck together but either way the transmission is probably worn out and not worth repairing in this old machine.