we have an 844b highlander that starts and runs fine but after a short time the transmission slows down sometimes to a stop then slowly starts moving again and seems to work fine. wondering if anyone has any ideas. one place said to change the accumulator and i do think that is bad because at first startup the hydraulics wont work but after a few second they kick in. doesn't seem like the accumulator would have anything to do with the tranny but maybe it does. thanks
I'm no expert on that particular machine but what's the serial number? Early ones had a Funk tranny and later went to ZF. Does it have a switch on the dash for a transmission disconnect?
I don’t think it has a disconnect. I added a picture of the dash and serial number. Thanks
I few pics of the tranny and tranny tag would help
Hopefully these help
This sounds dumb. Check the fluid level after it's been sitting, engine off. Mark,measure or whatever the oil level on the stick. Next, start the machine, let it run a minute and pull the stick again. Wipe it off, stick it back in and measure that. Then operate the machine. When it quits pulling, as quick as you can, throw it in neutral, lock the brake, jump off and pull the stick, wipe it and check the oil again. If no oil on the stick, add some until it's showing some and try again and see if the problem goes away. It can be low enough on oil that it empties the sump, pulls air and quits moving. Chased a problem in a crane that did the same thing. Turned out it was 3 gallons low.
Ok. I’ll try that. Fairly new to us so never had to add any. The dipstick says use c3 oil but our tranny fluid is c4. Can I use c4 or should I get c3 or drain it and use something different all together? Thanks
Thats as tall as it is wide. If its got c3 in it, stick with it. The clutches dont like changing oil types. It can cause the fiber discs (if thats what's in it) to come unbonded.
well i did that this morming and it seems to have fixed the problem!! ran it long enough that it would have acted up before. only had to add 1/2 gallon too so must me really touchy on fluid level cause its accually a little over full now. thanks again!
Let's hope that fixed your issue. Good luck with it.