I just got this Hyster fork truck. I think it is a A80A, but I'm not sure. The VIN is A116P****E. Since it ends with an E, I guess it was made in 1984. It has sat for many year and was just about on its way to the dump. Since I'm a guy that's known to take free junk, I got it. It took about an hour to get its four cylinder Perkins running. All the hydraulics work but it won't move forward or backwards. The transmission was low on fluid so I filled it up, but the shaft from the transmission to the transfer case won't spin. Well, it spins just a little when it first starts up. I am thinking that there is some sort of electric solenoid that is keeping the transmission from going into gear. It had two flat, and most likely ruined, 13.00-24 tires. I just happen to have six 14.00-24 tires off of a grader. Would it be a problem to put these slightly larger tires on this fork truck? It looks like there is plenty of room for them. Any info, advise, or help, would be greatly appreciated.
For the transmission you will need make and model numbers if available. There is usually a tag somewhere on a main case. Short of finding that you could post some photos of various angles of the transmission and maybe someone here could identify it. The bolt pattern on the wheels will let you know if you can just take off the grader wheels and put them on your new treasure. Count the number of wheel nuts and if the same, measure the diameter of the bolt circle to see if close. Next measure the distance between the centers of the studs. Whether of not the tires can be switched between wheels is another idea. It will depend on the width of the wheels themselves. A call to a local tire shop might provide that answer to you. Good Luck!
Thanks John. I’ll look for a tag on the transmission. I ordered a manual that covers the A66A and A80A models, hopefully it will tell me for certain what model this is. The grader tires I have are without wheels. The tires themselves have written on them that they require an 8” wide wheel. They don’t have written on them at what pressure to run them. The good rear tire was at 30psi and the front was at 35psi. I have no idea how much this thing weighs, or what ita capacity is. I do love that I got it for free.
If you measure the width of your existing rim, and they are 8" the 14.00 should go right on. The close spot on clearance, will be the rear with the wheel turned all the way/ clearance on the frame. Watch if you have any kind of a slope that your working on, they can go over real easy with the boom all the way up on a side slope.
I replaced one of the flat tires with the larger size. It looks fine. It was not an easy job. I spent a lot of time cleaning out the groove that the ring goes into that keeps the split rim together. I wanted it perfect so it wouldn’t come apart on me.
It turns out that I have the A66A.
A116 is used for both the A66A and the A80A. P means it was made in Portland. Is that Oregon?
Nice job of research. Pettibone used to make a lift that was similar to that. That looks like a lot of grease fittings to go over each morning.
Fortunately it looks like someone did grease all those spots well.