Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai 160 glass protection

Rooster747 · 2025-02-14 10:20

Hi all, im just setting up my Hyundai 160 excavator with a forestry mulching head. What’s the preferred glass protection that gives good visibility? steel mesh, bars or poly. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-02-16 23:59

    Lexan windows for a start. Then bars or steel mesh. Some members who do mulching will likely see your post and give their recommendations.

  2. #2Rooster7472025-02-17 12:58

    Thanks Dave

  3. #392U 34062025-02-17 13:11

    Personally I would switch out the glass with something that won't shatter. Bars won't stop the smaller pieces from blowing out the window

  4. #4Rooster7472025-02-17 14:57

    Would you still add a steen mesh of some sort? I would rather do that but my mechanic thinks that if a piece of steel breaks off the mulcher that the safety glass might not stop it. What’s your thoughts?

  5. #592U 34062025-02-17 15:46

    From my own experience a lot of stock excavator front windows have similar glass as the side windows in a car. I wouldn't want that exploding 2 feet away from my face. As for a mesh or bars, I would get advice from someone who does mulching regularly. I just fix stuff but hardly ever operate.

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-02-17 15:54

    Treemuncher would be a good source for the best way to protect the cab and operator.

  7. #7Orlando12025-02-20 03:51

    We have 2 30 tonners used for forestry and tree work as well rock crushing with many hours, we have kept the original Hyundai glass which is fine plus heavy bar work and fops.There may be some better pics on our you tube channel under brookwalford excavations, cheers had to start another account on here as I forgot my password.

  8. #8Rooster7472025-02-20 08:50

    hi Orlando, this was helpful and will check out your YouTube channel. Thanks

  9. #9Orlando12025-02-20 16:17

    We do have a frame that mesh can slide in and out of on one of the machines behind the steel bars but tbh we hardly ever slide it in as the steel bars deflect most things, but as they say anything can happen I guess.