Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai 160LC Robex (2005) runs 4 seconds, console goes dark, motor shuts off.

richardbrackin · 2018-09-17 09:39

It ran perfect Friday afternoon. Saturday morning: the console lights up when the key is turned, the motor starts and runs 4 seconds, then the console loses power and the motor shuts off. Anyone ever experienced this before?

Replies10
  1. #1uffex2018-09-17 13:22

    Good day Have you checked the battery voltage & alternator condition ? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2richardbrackin2018-09-19 20:22

    Battery checked out good. Alternator is charging. Strange thing: went to excavator and turned the switch and it started perfect. Ran fine four hours day one, then ran two more hours on day two before control panel went black again and engine died. Now when I turn key one notch, the fan (the climate system blower) blows and I hear the solenoid click. Control panel stays dark and when I turn key to start... nothing happens.

  3. #3uffex2018-09-20 04:14

    Good day Suggest you toggle the display into errors and see what it comes up with other than that a wiring diagram would be useful. I guess the Mitsubishi engine has a fuel shut off device I would be inclined to work back from this. If you have a diagram we can help some more with trouble shooting. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4richardbrackin2018-09-21 20:23

    Right now we can't get the display to do anything. I'll get the manual and see if there are schematics. Just strange: the panel shuts off THEN the motor dies about 4 seconds later.

  5. #5uffex2018-09-22 03:58

    Good day It sounds a good proposal to get hold of a manual, the issue you have could are a relay fault - when you turn on the key listen for the relay establish where it is when the display goes out check the relay with a multi meter. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6uffex2018-09-22 09:51

    Good day Please keep us informed it is an interesting issue. KR Uffex

  7. #7richardbrackin2018-09-22 11:12

    I think we will try to find a repair man. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away. Will let you know what's going on. Thank you for continued help. If you think of anything else to check let me know. We will test the relay.

  8. #8TVA2018-09-22 12:44

    Go through your wiring and look for loose sockets, also see if you have fuses or breakers, breakers will overheat and break the circuit than cool of and resume connection again. Fuses is all plastics and transparent to see if they burned up or not, breakers are little thicker metal ones. If it’s a breaker look for hot wire shorting to ground.

  9. #9uffex2018-09-23 07:39

    Good day This may be of help a contact posted some information from a Hyundai 140 but it may well be much the same as your machine, common to the engine power and cabin cluster is that of the main relay. Its normal for the relay to have quench diode installed we suggest you check this out. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10richardbrackin2018-09-25 10:37

    Thanks. I printed it out for my dad to hand the mechanic. We brought in a mechanic to look at it. The mechanic watched as my father got in the cab .... and after 4 days of not doing ANYthing ... the excavator started and ran perfect. Mechanic said he thinks he knows the issue: There is some kind of switch behind the seat (maybe) that can stick. Bear in mind that I got this info from my father so it was a bit tough to visualize what he was saying he was told. I asked if the mechanic checked the diodes and starter, etc., but I don't think he did. Our voltmeter got stolen so we're looking to borrow another one from a farmer nearby or we'd have checked that already.