Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai 290 LC-3

sawmilleng · 2019-08-09 09:41

Hi, just committed to a 1995 Hyundai 290. My first rodeo with an excavator, going to be a farm machine for land clearing and a heavy lifter for helping the fixing on my other iron. My question: It doesn't seem to have the serial number plate in the cab but the owner has a bill of sale with the SN on it from a dealer where he bought it 4 years ago. Is there a serial number stamped into the machine frame somewhere, like Cat does? I want to confirm the number on the dealer paper... Does anyone have any comments on whether these are decent machines? Any weak points a guy should pay attention to? Thanks, Jon.

Replies10
  1. #1uffex2019-08-09 10:52

    Good day Jon Normally there is a small plate pop rivet to the inside of the cabin base see picts, Koreans also make a habit of stamping the number into the superstructure "A" frame often the paint may cover this some what. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2uffex2019-08-09 11:08

    Attached a diagram where to find those you may also check the engine serial number, most Asian machines are built using the same if not similar components seems to be a well excepted principle where they differ is that of electronics. Most are reliable it can boil down to the machine you can get the best support to keep it going. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3sawmilleng2019-08-09 11:12

    Thanks, Uffex, I definitely don't have any tags like the one you've shown in the photo. Can you help me zero in on where the stamping might be?---I'm not sure of what constitutes the "A" frame. Would I be looking in around where the main boom attaches to the excavator? There is some pretty heavy steel there that is not covered by sheet metal... Jon.

  4. #4sawmilleng2019-08-09 11:23

    Uffex, I can't seem to be able to download your attachment...? Could you try to repost it? Jon.

  5. #5uffex2019-08-09 11:41

    Ok Jon try again the file is in PDF format you will need a PDF reader on your PC - Lap top - phone normally these are on there by default. The photo is in Jpeg format most devices can see these. If you need more help come back. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6uffex2019-08-09 11:52

    Jon maybe this is the area where you may find the number

  7. #7uffex2019-08-09 12:15

    Found this one may be helpful. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8sawmilleng2019-08-09 12:46

    Got them this time!! My fault--trying to use Firefox- I have to download some files to open them, others-no problem. We'll have a close look at those areas. Thanks for your efforts--they are appreciated!! Any issue with getting Hyundai service/parts manuals? Better to chase the dealer than get a download off the internet? Dealer manuals pricey? Jon.

  9. #9uffex2019-08-09 12:51

    Good day Jon We have a considerable amount of information on file but there is a real helpful guy on the forum goes under the name of "ToolKing" in all probability he will be able to help you just drop him a line Im sure if he is able he will help. I have mailed a Hyundai contact to confirm number location if he comes back I will let you know. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10uffex2019-08-09 15:24

    I have received an answer - The serial number is usually stamped on the upper structure between the two boom hoist rams. It’s usually towards the right one. Look after yourself