Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai Robex hydraulic strainer ID help

Grease Daily · 2025-03-02 20:03

Hello, I recently picked up a 2019 Robex R17-9a and am trying flush and change all filters/fluids. The fluid is pretty dirty. I'm getting some whine from hydraulics and it has a very weak swing either direction, however I did the speed test spinning in a circle and it's calibrated fine. I'll be tracking down filters and fluids this week but for now I'm hoping that someone can help me identify the hydraulic fluid trainer from these pics. The main filter is pretty dirty and I found it under the tank's top plate like other ones I've seen. I have no service manual on this machine yet. The free downloads on Hyundai site show nothing about how to service this machine.

Replies14
  1. #1Grease Daily2025-03-02 20:06

    I can't attach but 4 files. Here's one last one. If someone could explain to me what I'm looking at here in terms of hydraulics it would be very helpful. Just need to know where the strainer is so I can remove and clean. I've attached a pic of the excavator also.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-03-04 07:38

    Nice looking unit. The strain should be on the top pic, in the orange tank to the right. Under that top bulkhead, with about 6 or 8 maybe 18mm bolts.

  3. #3Grease Daily2025-03-04 08:19

    Thanks but you're describing the main hydraulic filter (5 in the diagram). I did find a PDF showing strainer location finally. It's at the bottom (3 in the diagram). Waiting on parts delivery tomorrow and I'll take some more pics when I do the job.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-03-04 10:05

    Yes but I believe you remove the bulkhead and main filter to get to it.

  5. #5Grease Daily2025-03-04 11:06

    OK, thank you. It defintely looks pretty hard to reach. The fluid is pretty dirty and I have not drained it so I can't see if I can access the bottom filter(strainer) from the top port, if that's what you mean. I was going to wait to drain until I have parts in hand. One other question, if you don't mind. When I drain I should try to have all cylinders compressed to get the most fluid out, correct?

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-03-04 13:32

    The filter is just a common NPT pipe thread on, and yes you will have to reach down to unscrew it. Closing as many cylinders will raise the level in the tank as high as possible, so yes, if the fluid looks that dirty, that is the way to go. It will be a good idea to have both filters on hand, when you do it. Honestly, if it’s the type of mesh metal screen filter I think it is, most of the time I just use a can of brake kleen or run some gasoline through it. They are usually for bigger media but I am not familiar with this machine. Sometimes they have bulkheads on the side to access the filter and to be able to clean the tank and that tank doesn’t look that big. Just clean it well, if you are draining the whole thing. Good, clean looking machine.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-03-04 13:36

    I do see what looks like tape on the return line at the top of the tank and the fitting looks tweaked. Nah, looked again and it’s a loose hose clamp.

  8. #8Grease Daily2025-03-04 19:50

    Correct, that's a loose hose clamp. I got it drained and apart today but my parts won't show up til tomorrow. i went on and ordered every filter on the machine including a new (bottom) strainer. Mine wasn't clogged up but certainly wasn't clean. It's an absolute bear to get out. I'm sure a tech would remove the whole tank but that would require pulling more lines under the deck. I think I can get it back together fine if the weather cooperates tomorrow. Doing fluid change, top return filter, bottom strainer, engine oil, fuel filter and water separator. I should probably go on and do coolant too while I'm at it I guess. Unfortunately I just realized I didn't get an air filter. Dammit. Maybe Napa or local tractor places can cross reference something, or Amazon.

  9. #9Grease Daily2025-03-08 08:28

    I was in a hurry in bad weather and didn't get any pics of the job but yesterday I changed oil & filter and both fuel filters and put a new strainer and hydraulic filter in as well as new fluid. I'm keeping the old strainer for my spare. Neither the strainer nor the fluid looked really bad but what a difference in the machine's performance after the service! I also greased everything. The only thing left to bring her up to speed is changing the oil in the crawler motors if I have the terminology correct.

  10. #10laidback012025-03-10 20:11

    they are often called 'Final drives' or 'Travel motors'; so I don't see why calling them 'Crawler motors' would matter.

  11. #11Grease Daily2025-03-11 09:09

    Cool. I'm new to these machines. Say, my tracks/travel motors/all of it are pretty squeaky and creaky when I'm moving around. I try to keep the dried, caked mud mostly cleared out. Is this normal if you've got some mud and dust in them? I don't think lack of an oil change would cause this but I am wondering if there are any common grease points I don't know about. Seems like anytime I've heard any tracked vehicle moving around they squeak and creak though, the bigger the machine the louder it is.

  12. #12laidback012025-03-11 13:27

    yeah... they make noise. with use, the noise drops as it smooths out the corrosion that sets up the squeaky vibration. if you want to smooth it out quickly, go play in a mud puddle and the abrasive water will wear the rust rightout of all the places it's making noise. you'll still hear the track thumps and slapping, but the squeals will be diminished.

  13. #13Shimmy12025-03-11 13:59

    Your pics are of a machine with rubber tracks. There should not be a bunch of squeaking and creaking unless you have bad idlers or rollers.

  14. #14laidback012025-03-11 14:19

    Your pics are of a machine with rubber tracks. There should not be a bunch of squeaking and creaking unless you have bad idlers or rollers. Well crap... yeah, I didn't look at the pics again. my mini at 10klb has steel tracks and familiarity with that system made me answer poorly. Rubber tracks, yeah, they'll just be making the dub-dub-dub sound as you roll and the sprocket engages the track.