Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I-95 trick to get arround NYC/D.C. Corridor

dieseldog5.9 ยท 2026-04-23 11:00

Randomly we make some runs through the New York City-Washington D.C. Corridor to get from southern VT to Georgia. According to Mapquest straight through NYC is the fastest route, however with traffic I question it. We generally try to hit northbound NYC at Midnight Saturday night and seems to work, however the older I get the less I like going through Connecticut at 2 am. I have gone around on I-81 but that seems to add a connsiderable amount of time.

Replies8
  1. #1ps66x42026-04-23 15:47

    What are you driving? Car?

  2. #2crane operator2026-04-23 16:31

    Google maps is my go to for driving directions, and it seems now that they always send me shortest distance, no matter what. A couple weeks ago going through st. Louis, I always take the south route around town, it's probably 3-4 miles further, but Google says right through downtown. Downtown is always a mess, road is full of potholes and traffic is bad. So I just go ahead and drive on around. I think Google is trying to save fuel for the planet and have changed their algorithm for quickest/vs shortest.

  3. #3ps66x42026-04-23 16:44

    I was in New Hampshire driving home following Googles directions at one point it said to take a left off a state highway then it had me take a few turns in about 20mins, 10-15 miles later It had me take a left onto the same highway, same place as I turned earlier. That wasn't the first time it happened or the last. I dont know why.

  4. #4AMBMike2026-04-23 17:29

    I 81 to I 77 to I 95 is usually my choice and is about half an hour longer time wise according to Google maps depending on start/end locations. However, if there's a bad accident anywhere in PA, MD, WV, or VA that half hour longer can easily stretch into several hours longer. I prefer driving those areas in the late night or early morning hours due to traffic. The best trick I know of to avoid east cost traffic is to drive from VT to somewhere in the Midwest then go to GA from there...

  5. #5dieseldog5.92026-04-23 19:52

    That is the run I made in February trying to keep away from the big storm that ran up the coast to NY and Boston. It has less traffic but swings further west than I would like to be. I need to run up to Richmond on 95, but before DC try to connect to 81, the goal being I 84 in NY.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2026-04-23 21:08

    Just north of richmond catch 522 over to 81

  7. #7Tyler d4c2026-04-23 21:21

    Its not a bad drive I cant remember the exit off 95 but theres a few other routes you have to cat from 95 to 522 when you near richmond punch winchester va in and youll find your way

  8. #8dieseldog5.92026-04-24 00:57

    Looks like maybe: Option A I-495 in DC, to I-270 to route 15 to I-81 Option B I-495 to Leesburg turnpike maybe to 15 to I-81