Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I AM OVER my ex-200-2

GabbyVice27 ยท 2013-11-13 19:18

Hello all, I have been reading this forum for a few days and decided to join and post. Here goes I think my ex-200-2 has been struck by lightning or the devil himself has taken up residence in the electrical system . I spent about 6 hours reading any post I came across about dash 2 problems . The problem I am having is that one day its lazy, the next the pumps in max and runs the motor hot , monday it worked perfect for 3 or 4 hours and,tuesday it was in such a bind that it would kill the motor if I moved a function, so I rotated the plate on the bottom of the pump and used it for about 2 hrs and it worked ok ,it was as slow as my old 266 bantam when it gets hot, but it worked. This morning it wont hardly swing or curl the bucket but the hoist and crowd seems ok and both tracks pull ok. The light on the pump control blinks on 1 second off 1 second somedays and somedays it doesn't even blink at all. I have called the folks at the place in Ireland that sells this conversion kit that I have read a little about. They want about $1800 for it, and I found a couple of kits on Alibaba from China that look the same for 7 OR 8 hundred bucks. I would greatly appreciate any input on these kits and would love to talk with someone who has actually installed and used one. I hate to set fire to a machine with only 4879 hrs on it, but its is getting to be cold weather.

Replies22
  1. #1GregD12013-11-13 21:47

    You have a connection that isn`t staying connected. The fact that the tracks, boom up and arm in that are all dual pump functions proves that. The flash of lights on the box at the steady pace you say is normal, that is proof that it is getting power. I would suggest getting the schematic and finding the power wires that energize the PVC box and determine if there is a power loss to the box or out of the box. I`m not sure what this "kit" is you mentioned. I would start with the plugs in the PVC box connectors, the cab floor connection block and all the way back to the hyd. pumps. The machine doesn`t know what function you are using and quit just to **** you off. You may need some gauges also once you know that the electrical portion is good.

  2. #2GabbyVice272013-11-13 22:48

    where is the booger I am slowly replacing connections . I suppose I just haven't found the bad one yet. I have a friend that has a ex150-2 and we have swapped all of the sensors that this site recommends and his machine still works fine and mine is still psychotic . thanks for the info I will stay at it , and try not to roast the marshmallows just yet. thanks again

  3. #3Bremcoe2013-11-13 22:58

    Get dr.zx it will help you diagnose the problem.

  4. #4spitzair2013-11-14 15:54

    I feel your pain Gabby! For what it's worth I wouldn't waste any time trying to fix wires in there, instead, replace the whole wiring harness, as I'm sure you've found most of the insulation will have cracks in it and be brittle, and each one of those cracks, no matter how small, can let in moisture which will cause corrosion on the wires. Eventually it will eat through the wires somewhere, could be anywhere, and one day the wire will have continuity, then any number of factors can cause the wire to stretch a bit and now you have an open circuit causing you grief. When I got my 200-2, I thought I could fix it too, and I spent 2 weeks in there and I don't know how many hundreds of dollars on wire, butt connectors, solder, heat shrink, etc. only to have the thing work for a whole 90 seconds, then nothing working again. So I tore out the entire harness and replaced it, not too big a job, and now I have a machine with zero issues. I would have been miles ahead had I just simply replaced the wiring harness right from the start. It seems like a big job but it really isn't that bad, getting the old harness out is a breeze since you'll just snip it wherever you need. Getting the new one in is a bit more of a project but still nothing you can't do. I think it took me all of 2 days to get my machine rewired and it's been great ever since! Good luck and let us know how you make out! PS Here's a link to my thread that pretty much shows all the stuff I went through... HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5GabbyVice272013-11-14 19:34

    hello fellers , googled DR.zx there is 8 or 10 on alibaba that seems to be where all the china stuff is. they range from $89 to $289 which is what. the $2700 new harness is probly the best bet but I and looking at a bigger machine A KEOHRING 6633 but that's another post . back to the evil one there is a post on this site where a guy from Ireland who was talking about a ''hydraulic pump control conversion kit'' that his local hitachi dealer sells ,I contacted them via email and the man said they were from china and were available for $1800 but didn't elaborate on this whats and hows in his email . So I googled it, they are on alibaba for $700 and the pic looks just like the one the guy in Ireland sells . I think I'm gonna find that post and try to contact the Irish guy directly as he seems to be the only person who knows anything about them . Gents thanks for the help and any in the future

  6. #6shopguy2013-11-14 19:58

    Do you know how to get the codes without dr.ex ?

  7. #7GabbyVice272013-11-14 20:01

    No ? Do tell!!

  8. #8shopguy2013-11-14 20:24

    Find the drex plug there are 2 pins that you can connect with a jumper wire (I put a light blub inline just in case) and read the codes .The red led on the pvc will flash the codes as long flash=10 and short =1 (2 long 2 short would be code 22) I will look am to see which 2 pins

  9. #9GabbyVice272013-11-14 21:25

    thanks, standin by!

  10. #10wilko2013-11-14 22:47

    I have a 120-2 that's also psycho, was looking at the kits and thought they were only a couple hundred dollars from China. You might google "Hitachi 200-2 manual conversion kits" to see if you find more variety. I had a semi-retired Hitachi mechanic come over one day with his truck full of diagnostic equipment, special tools and spare parts. It's the only time the damn thing ran all day without a single malfunction. Sure wish I'd bought a Cat.

  11. #11GabbyVice272013-11-14 23:46

    wilko, BEWARE WHAT YOU WISH FOR. The Cats I have been around weren't all that . I used to work for a contractor who had Cat fever, he had 2-315c's a 320c and a330c . I tore the plastic off the seat on the 320 and was the only man to run it for the first 1500 hrs, it was nice and clean and new ,but it wasn't that fast and not really super strong. That ''ORANGE S.O.B.'' Will out dig it, we were relaying some mud and the 330's turbo screwed up so I sent to the house to get my ex-200 ,it was on a holiday weekend and we were behind, and I got to collect a little rent. Boss man said ,that old machine wont keep up with my new cats , the 200 was about 11 years old at the time. Boy was he pissed, I had my 200 in the cut but I made my point on the mines new so its better even though the tore up new one is why my junk was there in the first place , but that was way before SATAN moved into the ''HITACHI HOTEL'' Enough war stories, what did you wind up doing to fix the problem in your machine , I found the kits on alibaba.com and have a quote for $700. I don't mind shelling out the cash if it will work, but I would love to talk to someone who has done this successfully, I sent sk120 an email, but I haven't got a response yet, he's the guy that seems to know about them , he deals with a company in Ireland called Omearaparts, they want $1800 for what appears to be the same kit that I found on the alibaba site. Spitzair put a complete new harness on his and seems to have conquered his electrical demons, that's probably the way to go but I'M looking at a bigger hoe now any ways but the $700 to eliminate this and all future electrical problems shure is appealing. I don't need my computer system to work , I much as I want the ''DANG DIGGER DIGGIN!!!'' come back

  12. #12Bedrock2013-11-15 08:19

    I had my wiring harness replaced by dealer at about 15,000 hrs. I would do it my self if done again. My EX 200LC~2 runs great. Bought new 1993 17,000 hrs still use 2~ 3 times a week.

  13. #13wilko2013-11-15 08:54

    Gabby, like you say, shelling out the cash is okay IF it will work. I was told at first that my problem was the pump. Guess it wasn't. Ouch.

  14. #14wabco2013-11-21 17:02

    I would like to know also if hyd controler is anygood hitachi man thinks to go that way but seems silly when machine is 1995 ex200 3 11000hrs but if its aquick cheap reliable fix ill go that way any feed back would be much apprecieated

  15. #15GabbyVice272013-11-21 17:33

    Finding out information on the Hitachi excavator electric to hydraulic pump control conversion??? HMMMM..! It seems it may be easier to arrange an interview with D.B. Cooper, find Jimmy Hoffa's corpse ,or determine how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.....? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  16. #16wabco2013-11-21 17:47

    it would be nice to know whether to get a hyd conversion or try and sort out elec problem

  17. #17dieseltech2013-11-27 00:36

    Hi There, beware of the cheap chinese manual pump control kits they can cause nothing but problems and are rarely a "bolt on kit" like they tell you, I have have fitted a few pump control kits to EX-2 and EX-3 machines but always used the genuine kit which works well and completely removes the electronics related to the pump control system. As for your existing problem with the low hydraulic speed and engine stalling, when it is faulting with the engine running make sure there is voltage at the two pump control solenoids on top of the pump (should be battery voltage 24-28v) these two solenoids control the pump flow rate by changing the swash plate angle, one solenoid increases the flow rate and one decreases it. There are quite a few other things to check as well but this is a good place to start as these machines are notorious for electrical problems. Hope this helps

  18. #18GabbyVice272013-11-27 01:13

    hey fellars, thought I would post an update on the devil in my digger, ok here goes, the machine had a delco alternator on it when we purchased it . I didn't think much of it , heck it was charging. I had to catch a plane back to the ''BAKKEN'' so I left the headache with the old man. So I get a call, hey boy, this S.O.B.'s doing ok today, so I say hang up the phone and keep diggin'. He called me that evening and said it did fine for about 4 hours or so the it got lazy, so he shuts it down and goes home, comes back the next day, dead batterys, jumps it off goes back to work , works about an hour and it goes crazy ,,typical. shuts it off calls me and raises he//! at me for an hour cause I aint figured out the problem before I left. So he gets there the next day ,dead again, did you turn the battery switch off? is the alternator charging, I'm 1800 miles away mind you. So after more descriptive adjectives I finally talk him into getting a meter out of my service truck. Hey , boy this S.O.B. aint charging he says.. So I call in a favor to a buddy and he goes and pulls the alt. off. After more of those peskey adjectives I talk him into putting the proper alternator on it, I'm 1800 miles away mind you, just on a whim I find an alternator on ebay for $165, after we had a 45 minute discussion about those no-account S.O.B.s at the deere dealer and where they could put their $700 alternator. The same buddy goes to but the new alternator on, I get a call ,did I mention I'm in north Dakota, hey man there is a plug buried in a pile of crud between where alternator was and the bracket, and I think it goes to the new alternator. HMMMM. Maybe? I have been getting on the hour reports from the old man for the last four days, Hey boy this S.O.B. ain't never worked this good. O.M.F.G R.U.F.K. too many amps ? W.T.F., I think I am starting to get this texting thing downpat CHECK THE ALTERANTOR, STUPID, I guess it was charging too good, happy Hoeing!!!!!!

  19. #19wabco2013-11-27 01:54

    thanks very much for reply iam about as good on computer as fixing hitachi ihave written acouple replies but don't know if ihit right buttons

  20. #20wabco2013-11-27 02:02

    deseltech I have now managed to break plug going into pvc controller do you think ishould get anew one out of china jnison brandhoping to hear back soon wabco

  21. #21dieseltech2013-11-28 00:43

    If you can get hold of a plug for the pvc it would probably be worth doing if the rest of the wiring loom is in good condition.

  22. #22wabco2013-11-28 03:11

    diesltech thanks for reply ithink the wiring is good but their must be some think wrong some where in the book it tells you the numbers for the plug but I couldn't see any numbers on plug ithought it might be abit tricky for me to change iordered anew harness & drzx out of china so see if that makes any difference its had soliinoeds on pump pressure sensor dp sensor pcv controller al changed it will be interesting to see what new wiring looks like