So I am pushing up a pile, 1st gear just above idle and she goes ZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEE and no more movement. The pitch of the ZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEE changes in the different gears so I am assuming it is behind the transmission. It sounds like a pinion or splined shaft stripped out. Can I see the ring/pinion etc. if I remove that rear cover the PTO is coming out of?
post up a serial number to get started. Folks can tell you what you may have there
Wow, why? The material or heat treat? Sounds like a machine I would have wrecked the first hour when brand new.
I'm not a heavy equipment mechanic, but I do work on the 550 JD we have a fair amount. I think you are going to need to remove the seat and floor pan to get access to the top of the transmission cover plate.
Transmission, clutch and steering clutches come out the top. Remove the seat, fuel tank, battery box, hydraulic tank/valves. I think the motor has to be moved forward to clear the clutch housing.
Assuming you have a 350 or 350B with hydraulic directional reverser. The splined coupling number 2 in the parts diagram may be stripped causing this noise. Look at the four studs number 3 for loose nuts or stripped out if so there will be a gap between cases.
I am almost positive it is behind the transmission, the frequency of the sound gets higher, when shifting to a higher gear, if it were between the reverser and the trans it would stay the same.
It is a 350B, sorry I thought I had posted that. The steering clutches come out the sides not the top.
I’ll go ring gear rivets sheared for a 1000 Alex. .
Steering clutches come out side would be a 350C. Dave has point on the ring gear rivets seen that many times also.
My bad meant B. The C series was oil clutches.
Rivets? Wow ! They sure had the wrong guy testing those machines in the day.
Well it is not the ring gear pinion, but I did find some interesting damage to the ring gear, probably from before I purchased it as it came from rock country and was badly abused and fixed with baling wire and carriage bolts. No kidding, the coupling between the flywheel and the reverser failed shortly after I bought the POS and I found someone had bolted the engine to the bell housing with undersized carriage bolts and nuts, what a moron that guy was.... I cannot see any damage to the pinion, at least what I can see.... That was 30 years ago and he was older than me so maybe he is dead by now Anywho I thought there was an ah-ha moment when I discovered the roll pin through the PTO coupling had been moving out and was being sheared off as it did so but that shaft runs behind the ring gear, although it is possible a piece popped off and got into the ring/pinion gear somehow. And I was 100% wrong about the sound changing with different gears so we are back to maybe the coupling between the reverser and transmission. The reverser does seem to be working and the noise does change a little between forward and reverse. So what does it take to get to that coupling?? Is there a was to inspect it??
First thing remove the floor plates and clean the area where the reverser housing and transmission housing bolt together, check the four studs i mentioned earlier and look for gap between housing. In the parts diagram i sent part number 1 is a snap ring to retain the coupling i have seen those break. Unfortunately, the only way to inspect is to remove engine and reverser housing. If you go this route, take a close look at splines on both shafts as they may well be rounded off. There is also a possibility this has happened to previous owners if they abused the machine. if there are enough good splines left on the shafts, we have taken two new couplings and cut down and welded together to reach the better splines with good success.
I am pretty sure the engine is not attached to the undercarriage, how about the reverser? to say can I split the machine without any need to dismantle the undercarriage?
Just in case those rivets are sheared and still swaged into housings start it up engage reverser and see if ring gear turns if it doesn't than it has to be coupling. The housings are sealed from each other so reverser will work ok. That's one reason if there is a gap between housings there is no oil leak and yes that coupling rungs dry which doesn't help.
Yes, more info later got to go for now.
Did that with the ol lady at the controls, the pinion does not turn
Ok back at it when I mention left or right side that will be settings in seat looking toward front of dozer. On right frame 7, spacer block 4 will have to be removed bolts 8 will need to be removed they go thru side frame spacer and into reverser housing. There will be 2 bolts to remove from bottom they go thru cross bar side frame and thread into spacer block. On left side the reverser housing bolts directly to side remove these bolts. Than there is 1 or more bolts from the bottom that go thru crossbar and side frame into reverser housing that one bolt kicked my butt many year ago I never forgot it. Hope this helps.
when you remove engine take a good look at the isolator assembly on the flywheel, noise can travel and sound like it is coming from another area.
Thanks! I have to clear a bay that can be occupied for an extended period of time and that may actually take a couple months, and then IF that is the issue AND the shafts do not look too bad then I am likely going to do a complete refresh of the engine, poor old girl is really tired and I ether need to do a rebuild or move the crankcase vent because at times I get gassed out! I bought a 310 DASH B L/B 35 years ago and it was not long and it broke a crank (spun the two inner main bearings) so a refresh would seem to be a good idea before I am looking for another block and crank The 310 still runs like a watch, same basic engine although IIRC they have a different bore. Funny thing the ol lady managed to get it stuck in gear (2nd I think) one of these days I will pull the floor plate and shifter and see if I can get it "unstuck" I also wish I had re-sealed the reverser clutches when I had it split 35 years ago as the forward clutch is a little week, It also came out of rock country and was totally worn out when I got it although I manage to nurse her along and use it 2-3 times a week, there seems to always be more important things to do at any given time. I plan on it, that is what failed right after I bought it 30 years ago and it was very obvious that the engine was disconnected from the reverser. I cannot remember exactly what I replaced but it did and still does go DER_CLUNK_CLUNK every time it is shut down and I think that is where it is coming from, but do not think that is my issue at this time. I will probably just pull the engine first since that isolator will need to be checked anyway unless that is going to make pulling the reverser much more difficult, will have to wait and see. No telling what I will find when removing the reverser, hopefully that bozo did not do any work there..