Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I could use some tech help on this old farm tractor!

Vetech63 ยท 2021-05-17 08:53

This is my neighbors old Massey Ferguson MF50. He came by last week and asked me why his 3-point lift quit working. I checked the oil and the level was fine, so off the 3-point top came. What I am having trouble with is tech info on this tractor. There are several critical adjustments that I need to check, but I haven't been able to find anything at all. Nothing is broken that I can find, only loose adjustments and wear on some of the linkage. I really dont want to guess on this......if I guess wrong I stand to have the pump push the 3-point up too far and explode the cylinder barrel before the kick out link takes over. There is 2 long link fingers that go into a pump control link at the bottom of the case, but I cant tell how they should fit into the link since it can actually go in several different ways. Any of you farm tractor guys have any info on this set-up?

Replies7
  1. #1aighead2021-05-17 09:22

    I can't help but that's a pretty nice looking tractor!

  2. #2Delmer2021-05-17 10:56

    Slow down big boy. Is there a forgotten lever to switch between 3pt and hydraulic? if it worked before and the the fluid level is good, I'd start with the simple stuff, like the operators manual not a repair manual. Plenty of youtube advice, or any of the farming forums could help better than I can. This might not go through the operation much, but at least it shows the models that are similar, that is most of them.

  3. #3skyking12021-05-17 11:47

    I was thinking, "that's not so old"

  4. #4jimg9842021-05-17 13:58

    under one of hex. plugs is a offrice/jet I have heard of them unscrewing self worth taking a look

  5. #5aighead2021-05-17 14:55

    Girl in your video @Delmer makes me look like a chump! I love it!

  6. #6Old Doug2021-05-17 21:42

    I have had several of MFs apart i cant remember any problem lining things up putting the top back on. Dads tractors 3 point wouldnt lift about 3 times in 40 years one time i took it apart and found nothing wrong the other times it started working on its own it also went all the way up and wouldnt come down then it came down and worked fine. Sorry i cant be more help there must be something that sticks.

  7. #7Vetech632021-05-18 08:02

    Well, that was perfect! It rarely crosses my mind to check for this type of stuff on Youtube. I believe she pointed out exactly the stuff I was looking for Thank You!