Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are certificates of title generally provided with older backhoes?

Birdseye · 2021-05-16 17:54

Last year when I bought my circa 1985 case 580se, no title was provided neither was a bill of sale. I got it from a church and they basically gave it to me to get rid of a hulking eyesore. It was donated to them by a member. So no paperwork. I didn’t ask. If I ever sell this 580 , is the lack of a title going to be a problem? I can provide a Bill of sale of course. Thanks.

Replies16
  1. #1361brock2021-05-16 18:02

    Depends on what year your state became a title required state. Here in NY anything after 1973 has a title.

  2. #2361brock2021-05-16 18:04

    If your machine was never going to be put on the road, I woudn't bother, bill of sale ok

  3. #3John C.2021-05-16 18:24

    I don't know of any state that requires a title for a piece of heavy equipment. Basically, there is no registration on stuff that isn't meant to run down the highway all the time. Usually the only proof of ownership is a bill of sale.

  4. #4361brock2021-05-16 18:37

    Looks like John is right, my backhoes don't have titles, just bill of sale to register for plates for the machines for on road use. And be aware, have to use on road clear fuel, no red or they can fine you if caught. There might be a farm use that may exempt you from some of the rules.

  5. #5Jonas3022021-05-16 18:39

    No titles on equipment here

  6. #6JBrady2021-05-17 08:47

    No titles on equipment in Oklahoma. Oklahoma also doesn't require tags or titles on trailers, except RVs, and no inspections on vehicles. But I do have to have a title that is separate form the boat title for the outboard motor on my old john boat. Go figure.

  7. #7aighead2021-05-17 09:24

    I didn't get a title for my backhoe, bought in Michigan, brought to Ohio.

  8. #8lantraxco2021-05-17 13:38

    There are, or were at least some states that titled tractors and heavy equipment, here in Oregon if it's financed the lender does a UCC filing to preserve a lien against the asset. Bill of sale is all you get, or a handshake for cash.

  9. #9John C.2021-05-17 19:47

    You should always demand a bill of sale when purchasing used iron. It's probably a good idea to do a lien search as well. It might reveal is the machine actually belongs to the person selling it.

  10. #10Birdseye2021-05-17 20:48

    Do these machines have something like a VIN ? Just answered my own question by looking in the operating manual, the PIN product identification number is the number by the footwell at cab door. If I needed it for making the machine road legal, or someone else did then theoretically it should be possible to get a copy of the title from the state DMV but probably not worth the trouble. Thanks.

  11. #11John C.2021-05-17 22:33

    Pin number = product identification number. Vin = vehicle identification number. Vin numbers have a standard system used across the world. I believe it uses a seventeen digit code that identifies the vehicle and source and some of the components. Heavy equipment until recently has not used a Vin number system. I subscribe to a serial number service and have been informed that some manufacturers of heavy equipment have adopted the Vin number system and the subscription service will no longer need to carry those makes in their system. No states that I know of require any registration of equipment not used on a highway. A Pin number may give you much of the same information in something like the Caterpillar system but usually only identifies the year of manufacture. Some makes will only give you the year of first sale. The industry has fought a registration system forever so don't count on any type of titles or registration to ever be a thing for heavy iron.

  12. #12Jonas3022021-05-17 22:43

    https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/kansas/ks-statutes/kansas_statutes_40-3105 Should be good to go as is under special mobile equipment

  13. #13Coytee2021-05-21 07:27

    What they all said. My backhoe was originally purchased by TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority). As such, it had a couple stickers on it "Property of...." I bought it from my brother in law who bought it at an auction. Though I don't know the actual distance, I'd venture to say that we share a common border with TVA here along the farm (they own all the surrounding land by us which is next to a lake) So it crossed my mind when I bought this that one of their local officers might look at me with an accusatory raised eyebrow asking "Boy.....where did you get (steal) that machine?" Never happened in near 20 years. Hmmm....now in retrospect.... maybe my brother in law stole it and fenced it to me knowing that nobody would think I'd be stupid enough to keep a stolen machine out in the open next to the prior owners land!!?? How brilliant!

  14. #14Doug Brown2021-05-27 21:54

    In Utah there is there is no title on equipment. My paying job is law enforcement there is a problem with stolen equipment. So it can't hurt to check with your local law enforcement to see if it is stolen. There is a Nation wide web site for law enforcement to list stolen items

  15. #15hosspuller2021-05-27 23:38

    When I was shopping for a Deere tractor, the only way I could check is through a serial number through a dealer. They could tell me who the selling dealer was. Then try to trace the ownership trail. A stolen machine could cost you, your purchase price many years later with no recourse except to the seller. There are horror stories of people paying large sums for equipment and losing everything when the lawful owner shows up with the popo.

  16. #16Walker12021-05-28 00:11

    For the old iron that I buy it is usually a cash deal, probably could get a BOS if requested, but there is no viable lien against a 1972 Case 580B. Now if I was buying anything newer than 2000 or so, I would request some sort of official receipt for the transaction, but by and large the man who has it owns it.