I drive a New Holland tractor, T6 175, and after a small hydraulic leak I had top top up the hydro reservoir. This tractor has a combined rear axel/hydraulic reservoir containing 16-17 gallons of mobilfluif 426. This is where I fracked up and filled a gallon or two of diesel (never gonna NOT label a barrel again). Before I noticed this I have used the tractor for some hours. What is the correct course forward to undo this? I've found that some diesel in hydraulic fluid is ok, but I dont think this is the case with axle/gear system? Any advice?
Let's take an objective look at the situation. You've run your tractor for a couple of hours with diesel diluting the MTO. If the friction surfaces were going to be damaged, they would be on their way out by now. Drain the oil, remove and inspect any suction screens, R&R the filter(s) and do a filter chop. If all appears good, refill the oil and run it. On the other hand if you find clutch material, stop and overhaul the back end. My gut feeling though is that you will be OK.
I'm gonna give it a go a see what comes out of it. I'm hoping it all turns out well in the end. Learning somethin new every day, both do's and dont's.. Thanks!
Drain the oil and refill with new. Go about your business with no worries. I use diesel fuel to flush my hydraulic systems after component failures - this was recommended to me by a large, reputable hydraulics shop when I asked what oil I should use as a "flushing oil" after component failure. If you run a filtration cart as part of normal maintenance like I do, you will want to save that diluted oil for a good flushing oil in the future if needed. I flush with straight diesel and then move to a diluted oil-diesel mix and then install new oil after repairs.
Thanks! I dont have a flush cart, but I've found on the internet that you can use diluted hydraulic oil on hydraulic-only systems in cold climate, and I'm above the arctic circle. As long as the ratio is below 3:1. This whole thing started with a rupture in a hydraulic guide hose. Got that replaced, but I still have a leak somewhere above the oil filter (right side behind rear wheel), wondering if there has been a spike in pressure in the system. To bad with a tractor thats only a year and a half old. Now there's a lot of work to get the towbar down to reach the drain plug. Still, I guess that this is better than a rear axle swap!