Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford industrial 4500 Wreck

dorf tractor ยท 2017-01-21 21:14

Hi, I've recently purchased a a Ford Industrial 4500 with loader but no backhoe. I have now discovered it has had a terrible life of abuse and neglect. One of the first things I"m trying to fix is the worn out power steering linkage and power steering leaks. I'm replacing pivot pins and bushings that are replaceable, but there is a couple of pins and pivot points that are not replaceable and am wondering if some play in this one item is designed that way. If the pictures do not show up I'm going to have to explain my issue much better, but I think if the pictures come through you will understand what I'm talking about. There does not seem to be a bushing under the cap labeled "2" in my picture, the pin underneath is extremely loose fitting but does not seem to have excessive wear. Picture 2 shows with the cap removed and the large amount of play around the pin. I'm wondering if there needs to be some play in this arm for the hydraulic valve on the power steering cylinder to actuate? Pin labeled "3" also has no bushing and does in fact show some wear but is un-replaceable....whats the most sensible solution for a fix here. Don

Replies11
  1. #1DIYDAVE2017-01-21 21:25

    A good machine shop could prolly install bushings and grease fittings on #2 and 3 and fix what the engineers *** up...:drinkup

  2. #2dorf tractor2017-01-21 21:39

    Well I can make those items up myself also but I'm just not sure now that there is not suppose to be a little play under number 2. Don

  3. #3wrwtexan2017-01-21 22:45

    Most likely that is the engineered slack in the arm to allow the steering control valve to be activated before manual steering occurs. ** and the old 5000 Fords which used a remote activated valve up front used a tapered 'bolt' into a matching socket which could be adjusted for the necessary play to activate the valve. If this is what #2 functions as, then it has to be a bit loose. 'Fix' that and no more power steering assist. I suspect that there is a valve which pins to the likely 3/8" pin at the opposite end to #4. That is what provides your steering assist. Look at a schematic of a early 5000 Ford on the New Holland website and you can see the setup.

  4. #4davo7272017-01-25 23:53

    I fixed my Ford 4500 steering by doing a full hydraulic conversion. Took the old steering box and all the linkage and valves and threw in the trash. http://www.mytractorforum.com/20-ford-new-holland-tractors/211740-full-hyd-steering-4500-a.html

  5. #5dorf tractor2017-01-28 09:35

    I just briefly skimmed through that thread but I plan on returning to read more thoroughly . It looks like there's lots of good info there. Anybody have instruction on how to set the valve linkage on the powesteering assist cylinder of said tractor?

  6. #6Willie B2017-01-31 19:47

    I have a large family of close friends. Do you know how an entire family might be Catholic, or Jewish. This family is Ford. I'm close, but not family. I am astounded that 20 people have lifelong history of problems with bad design, yet they remain loyal. For example In that family, a young man meets his lifelong love, she drives a Chevy, they are understanding. It is a problem they can fix. They give her a Ford. If she persists, wants something other than a Ford, she gets the heave ho! She wasn't perfect after all. Fact is, Ford engineers figure anything up to half turn of play in the steering is OK. You aren't going all that fast anyway. I fear you need a machinist, or a Ford owner attitude. OH, one of my extra sons just bought a 4500 from his grandfather's estate. His has 1/2 turn of steering wheel play, and if you tried to drive down a road faster than 5 MPH it'd go into a speed wobble. He's delighted with it. He considers it perfect. Willie

  7. #7davo7272017-01-31 21:26

    That was funny, Im not a Ford guy but I do really like my 4500 after I put the full hydraulic steering in it. Easier and cheaper than trying to fix the ford steering which still wont work good.

  8. #8dorf tractor2017-02-04 11:09

    The last couple of posts were a little disturbing... I've already put in a whack of work and money into the existing power steering system with hopes that it will be fixable. I guess we will see. By the way for interest sake....the tapered pin the connects the power cylinder to the rest of the linkage is $155 Canadian from Ford. I couldn't find it anywhere else. Ridiculous.

  9. #9workshoprat922017-03-10 16:20

    Yes there is supposed to be movement on pin number2. Without that it will not actuate the steering valve.

  10. #10workshoprat922017-03-10 16:30

    Did you have to pull the radiator and radiator enclosure to get all those parts out? Mine has so much slop in all the bushings it wont actuate the valve so im at that point myself. Mine also does the death wiggle at road speed. It super dangerous as it pops back and forth while your driving as it takes up slop and engages the valve

  11. #11dorf tractor2017-03-10 16:49

    Yes I had the rad and cowl off. I also had everything in the front apart. I made or bought new pins and bushings for almost everything now except the main axle pivot point. I'm working on it at the moment. I hope to be able to start it up in the next few days to see how it works and make adjustments.