Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I finally got a dozer

ianjoub · 2022-03-20 10:04

2008 CAT D7R Series 2 https://www.equipmentfacts.com/list...t/auctions/online/212443781/2008-cat-d7r2-lgp Oh boy, moving this is turning into a PITA. Truckers are busy. It seems that coordinating with pilot/escort and pulling permits complicates things further. The blade is 14', won't angle back to be narrower, and there is no place to reinstall it at the delivery site if moved for transport. So far, I have found the operators manual here: https://constructionbulldozers.tpub.com/TM-5-2410-241-10/index.html It has a pre use checklist among other things, but some things were absent. Nothing on track tension, proper amount and adjustment procedure. Nothing on how to check fluids in final drives, planetaries, and brakes. It does include engine, trans, hydraulic, and coolant instructions. Does anyone see anything obvious in the pics or video that I should address?

Replies39
  1. #1Nige2022-03-20 11:28

    If you want a genuine Operation & Maintenance Manual it is available to download from cat for $49. It has all the basic maintenance tasks including track tension. Also available on CD or in paper format should you prefer. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears cick on "Continue as Guest" Put SEBU7234 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear.

  2. #2southernman132022-03-20 12:34

    Congrats. Hope it serves u well. Check with snider equipment in Jackson Tn they move a lot of big machines. Maybe he can steer you in the right direction if he can’t do it.

  3. #3Lumberjack Matt2022-03-20 16:21

    I saw a D8L going down the freeway last week (I'm pretty sure it was this one because it had "bad trans" painted on the blade), the lowboy was about 3 feet into the shoulder, and the blade was still into the center lane. The transport truck was kicking up all kinds of gravel and dust from riding on the shoulder, there was a dust cloud about half a mile long. It was a disaster waiting to happen. Anyways, congrats and hope it works for you!

  4. #4ianjoub2022-03-24 13:36

    Finally got to see this in person! At 58 degree ambient it fired off in a fraction of a second. It idled for an hour or more and all the gauges looked good. It is loaded on a lowboy and headed my way. On this machine, how much of the shiny piston of the track tensioner can be showing? As in, at what point does it need undercarriage work? One piece of the wear edge on the blade is missing. Where can I source that? Finally, it has a Vail ripper on it. It has one shank, but provisions for 3. Where can I source 2 more? TIA

  5. #5Nige2022-03-24 14:13

    Did you get an O&M Manual yet.? The measurement (max. 5.4" of chrome showing) is in that document. Looking at those photos the tracks are way too loose and look like they are about done. Are you planning to work it on swampy or dry-ish ground.? If the answer is the latter then the track shoes are way too wide and ideally would need replacing with narrower shoes to protect the rest of the U/C system from excessive loads. A full U/C inspection, measurement, & report should be a first step. Double check the S/No tag on the back side of the blade. Should be J4L00299. If so the RH End Bit is a 9W-6199 and you will require 7 of each bolts (6F-0196), washers (5P-8249), and nuts (2J-3505) to install it.

  6. #6ianjoub2022-03-24 14:28

    There is far more than 5-6" of shiny showing. I will be working dryish ground. This machine will likely not do 1,000 hrs in the next couple of years in my ownership. Is removing a track link an option? Thanks for your input Nige!

  7. #7Nige2022-03-24 14:50

    It might be, but TBH it all depends on the condition of the rest of the U/C system (rollers, idlers, sprockets, etc) because everything interacts with everything else. I would get a U/C inspection done first and post all the numbers. Then would be the time to start making suggestions. I would be really worried about working on dry ground with shoes as wide as the ones on that tractor. Cost-wise the damage they could do to the rest of the U/C system in a very short time could be measured in a large number of zeros.

  8. #8mekon2022-03-24 19:30

    Congrats on the machine purchase.From the pictures it looks like at minimum it needs sprocket sections and new chains.That can be done in your shop if you have tools.We have done several tracks in house

  9. #9skyking12022-03-24 20:55

    congrats ianjoub!

  10. #10ianjoub2022-03-26 17:34

    Found the operator's manual in the machine!

  11. #11Nige2022-03-26 17:53

    Same one (SEBU7234-07) that I listed above.?

  12. #12Tones2022-03-26 18:15

    I don't know what your oversize laws are but here in Australia removing the corner tips can narrow the load enough to (1)get permits, or (2) use less pilot vehicles.

  13. #13ianjoub2022-03-26 19:37

    -04 I may order a new one anyway. 14 years in the cab has taken its toll on this one.

  14. #14ianjoub2022-03-26 19:38

    . Think it was too wide even that way, but it is delivered now

  15. #15southernman132022-03-26 23:08

    Bet your excited to finally have it on site. You don’t realize all it takes to find it buy it and finally get it to the site until you’ve done it. Many road blocks along the way. Hope it serves you well and gets everything accomplished you want. Have fun!!

  16. #16nicky 68a2022-03-27 14:22

    Looks like a D7R LGP to me.I’ve experienced a few D7H LGP’s when they were young and can tell you they are extremely powerful tractors.LGP’s are common here in the UK.I can no longer recall seeing ANY tractors under D8 size that aren’t LGP units.They are used for all ground conditions here including spreading stone.No one seems to mind the additional wear on the undercarriage in dry or hard conditions due to the fact that accountants won’t stand the cost of a STD tracked machine to be parked up 6 months of the year due to our inclement weather. As for your tracks,as allready stated,a professional track inspection is a must.To me,your pads look new,your idlers look fine and your rollers appear to sit well up on the rails.Your bushes look fine,but you need a new set of segments right now to maximise your bush life.Don’t kid yourself into paying to turn them. However,I agree with other posters,that those tracks look well out on the cannon and are slack. This could be stretch due to dry bushes.May be a set of non oem tracks. On that note,I’m a strong believer in some makes of undercarriage parts.Cat aren’t the last word in tracks in my opinion. You may get away with segments and running those chains out.The rest of your components will go again on new rails. There’s something not adding up with those cannons out though……..

  17. #17nicky 68a2022-03-27 14:24

    I also have to say,those D7’s are awesom and you’ll move plenty of muck with the beast. Congratulations on your new tractor

  18. #18Nige2022-03-27 14:25

    And until someone measures everything and produces a report we’ll never know for sure what it is.

  19. #19ianjoub2022-03-27 20:07

    I hit the adjuster in one track with the grease gun, took up some slack. I went to the other side and couldn't find the grease fitting. I was not sitting level. I felt around under the gear oil but didn't find the zerk. I will park it other side down tomorrow and look again. The adjuster went out about 1". There were a couple of loud pops when I pumped the grease in the 1st adjuster. Is that because I was parked not perfectly level? Nige, the only tag I could find on the blade read (I'll post what I thought it said and what it may also have been underneath. My specs and flashlight only went so far): 908210-U1 20900033 9U8210-04 Was I reading the wrong tag? This was right side under the top mount.

  20. #201466IH2022-03-27 22:42

    I would get a hold of Cat dealer in your area and request a U/C inspection. Naturally they are going to be trying to sell you on Cat parts but they will grade each component and give you a percentage of remaining life

  21. #21Nige2022-03-27 23:50

    I’d guess that 9U-8210 is the Part Number of the blade. If it is then I can most likely confirm the numbers of all the GET from that. Stand by.

  22. #22Bluox2022-03-28 06:32

    Even Stevie Wonder could see that track is way beond junk! Looking at the pictures shows several dry joints and uneven wear on the rails indicating track frame misalignments, even show those tracks were run on wore out rollers. These tracks are worn enough they will start breaking in the near future. Your operator's manual should have a max length for track adjustor, trying to adjust it past will cause internal damages. Bob

  23. #23Nige2022-03-28 10:58

    Here's your GET.

  24. #24ianjoub2022-03-28 19:43

    Thank you very much for you work Nige. I'll get that ordered!

  25. #25ianjoub2022-03-31 17:50

    I am back home now. I put 12 or so hours on the machine. It ran/operated GREAT! I am arranging someone to come in and evaluate the machine in general including the undercarriage. I think changing all the filters and sending off oil samples will be a good start with the U/C eval. I sure did have fun with it. I did buy this as a toy, so to this point all is a success!

  26. #26Nige2022-03-31 21:40

    As mentioned above those tracks are only a hair wawy from breaking. Just cross your fingers one of them doesn't break right while you're in the softest spot for a mile in each direction .............

  27. #27ianjoub2022-03-31 22:02

    My next trip up there is to meet someone to do the inspection/eval...

  28. #28Flat Thunder Channel2022-03-31 22:14

    Jealous! Post some videos of her working. Hopefully you don't have to move it frequently.

  29. #29ianjoub2022-03-31 22:16

    Next time it will be moved is when someone else buys it. I took vids of the 'after' of what I did, but no live action shots.

  30. #30skyking12022-03-31 23:01

    very cool, you earned that play.

  31. #31ianjoub2022-04-01 10:17

    The fuel gauge is not working in the machine. When I turn the key on, it sweeps through the range, but then settles to 1/3rd reading and doesn't move. Where is the sender located? I want to pull it and sweep the float (I assume that is the setup) to check function, possibly just needs the contacts cleaned.

  32. #32Nige2022-04-01 11:03

    Underneath the rear RHS of the tank. To get the sender out will require the tank to be drained of fuel. Side note. Check the machine Serial Number next time you are there. ABJ011656 as quoted in the auction ad is incorrect - it has 6 digits after the "ABJ", there should only be 5. This could be important because there are a couple of S/N breaks in the ABJ-prefix machine and if you ever go looking for parts based on S/N you might come unstuck.

  33. #33ianjoub2022-04-01 12:36

    ABJ01656

  34. #34Nige2022-04-01 12:56

    That makes more sense. It will fall into the group of machines with S/Nos above ABJ01500.

  35. #35ianjoub2022-04-09 11:25

    So, the local CAT dealer is sending out someone to change all the filters and get fluid samples, which I could do myself. I was trying to throw them a bone so to speak. Apparently though, they are not going to do an UC inspection. I was told the tech coming out has experience and can eval things, but that doesn't sound like what you all recommended. Should I cancel and get another dealer/person? I specifically asked for a UC (I used the words) evaluation/measurement/report.

  36. #36Nige2022-04-09 14:45

    Tell them that you want a CTS undercarriage measurement and a report. This is not a field tech’s job, it is done by a PSSR (Parts & Service Sales Rep) and as the job title implies they think they are going to sell you something as a result of the initial visit to do the measurements. Said initial visit however, is a free service - basically because the dealer expects a sale out of it.

  37. #37ianjoub2022-04-09 15:18

    Thank you Nige.

  38. #38Nige2022-04-09 15:34

    Sent you a PM.

  39. #39Nige2022-04-11 14:08

    A thought. In my experience of working for dealers the PSSRs always worked for the Parts Department. If you have only been talking to the Service Dept regarding your request for oil/filter changes, oil samples, etc, then that may be a reason why you are not being offered a full CTS inspection. It's not their Department............. Try calling the dealer Parts Dept, explain exactly where you are located and that you want a full CTS Inspection & Report, then ask to be put through to the PSSR who deals with your geographical area. Oh, and it won't hurt to give him the impression that you are planning spending a load of coin with the dealer on new undercarriage. BTW, did you see my PM.?